dforster

Last weekend, there was a great little fly-in bbq at a grass airpark. Events like these are always enjoyable, with the opportunity to meet new friends and admire their aircraft.

One of the highlights of the event was watching a group of RV pilots make a formation arrival. There?s something really cool about airplanes in a precision formation.

However, it was disappointing to see the departure procedure that several of the aircraft carried out. It consisted of what appeared to be rotation at the minimum possible speed, followed by a steep climbout at what looked to be the edge of full-power stall speed, followed by a turn in excess of 45 degrees angle of bank over the houses part way down the runway, at an altitude which couldn?t have been more than 300 feet.

The first aircraft in the group performed this maneuver, followed by some (not all) of the aircraft which followed.

The conditions that day were gusty ? maybe 5-10 knots variation. It struck me that an engine stumble or a gust of wind or a moment?s inattention is all it would have taken to bring one down.

It was especially surprising to see these aircraft perform this maneuver ? many or most of them would have known the local pilot who lost his life just last year carrying out a maneuver at low altitude right after takeoff.

I never had the opportunity to meet that pilot, but I saw the results of his accident. I hope to have the chance to meet and make friends with some of the other pilots who flew last weekend at future fly-ins, but I am concerned that if they continue with this kind of departure procedure, we may never have that opportunity.

Low point of an otherwise nice event

Thanks, Dave, for bringing the topic up and relating your reaction. I, too, found the departure a shocking and macabre reminder of the tragedy last spring as members of the same group left a crawfish boil. The one thing that I noted, however, is that everyone on the ground where I was standing responded with dismay and disapproval. There were no cheers but plenty of grumbles about the poor influence it might provide to the young people at the BBQ, the potential danger it put the neighbors in as they broke over the home, the potential complaints from neighbors that our hosts may have to deal with, and, of course, the comparison to the event about a year ago with a plane from the same home airport as some (all?) of these planes. I wish that the departing pilots had experienced the reaction on the ground. Perhaps they would think twice if they really understood how many (if not most/all) of the folks on the ground felt about their antics.

I was a member of that flight and I wanted you to know your comments have reached the target. We got the message and cannot disagree. Your comments were well founded and we will endeavor to fly in a more conservative fashion in the future. I will see to it that all members of the flight are debriefed and I think I can assure you that a similar situation will not happen again. Thank you for your comments and your discretion.

Apology accepted

I was a member of that flight and I wanted you to know your comments have reached the target. We got the message and cannot disagree. Your comments were well founded and we will endeavor to fly in a more conservative fashion in the future. I will see to it that all members of the flight are debriefed and I think I can assure you that a similar situation will not happen again. Thank you for your comments and your discretion.

Thank you Dave... Thank you Louise... and THANK YOU SAM for your prompt apology and assurance that a similar situation will not happen again! I'm looking forward to your next formation appearance and to hearing spectator comments like "Wow, that's a professional formation team" and "I hope they will come to our fly-in".

BTW: The team is invited for crawfish at 81D this Saturday.

Have a Great Day!

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you for your very professional reply. I look forward to seeing your formation flying and meeting you and the other members of your team at future fly-in's.