tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

Getting ready to start my fairing work before I drag the plane out to the airport. Been doing electrical forever (gotten out of plans mode), and I'm wondering if anyone has a particularily good instruction set or tips for fairing installation?

Also, any good tips for jacking the aiplane up with no wings?

Thanks,
Scott
7A Almost at the airport

Can't help you with the fairings question, but for jacking the airplane with no wings or gear I put a 4x4 under the main spar (covered with a towel) and raise that with a floor jack. Then I support the ends of the 4x4 with jackstands. I actually have my jackstands on dollies so the whole fuse can be wheeled around.

Finding Centerline?

OK...I'm about ready to pull my few remaining hairs out.

What is the best method to find centerline and determine cutout areas? It looks like the glass split line is reasonably close, but it is definitely not center (or close enough for my liking). I tried the folded paper trick, using a laser level, etc., and I'm not ending up with a line that looks to be perfectly centered.

Any great thoughts on how to do so? What about suggested sequence of fitting or other tricks?

I am reminded why I hate the abstract art of fiberglass.

THanks in advance,
Scott
7A Almost ready for airport

This forum has had some excellent suggestions and many pics for methods of jacking up the airplane, getting the pants/fairings in line with strings, and overlapping the lower pant fairing on the leg fairing........so it doesn't try to blow away in flight. You'll need to use the search function to get the proper threads, but it would certainly be worth your time.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Dimensions

I'm curious if folks have found the dimensions of the wheel pant with respect to the ground / nose wheel axle to accurate?

For example, I noticed that it state 16" from the aft end to the center of the axle, yet, I am at about 16.75" and it seems to fit right with room for the nose cap. I have already had to make a cutout in the top of the rear half for the gear leg, and I am reluctant to take more (fitting farther forward to meet the 16" dimensions will result in a good chunk out of the top).

Have others experienced the same?

Thanks,
Scott

??

Anyu experience to share regarding rear fit dimensions? The plans say 16" from the rear edge to the nose axle, yet I am at 16.5 and have had to remove a fair amount from the front of the rear half to even get it that close. In looking at others websites, it appears that most have not had to remove any from the rear half?

What have others experienced? Is 16.5 close enought? This is the new fork and brackets if that matters. The spacer on top of my tire is 7/8" per the plans.

20st2wx.jpg

Thanks,
Scott