For those who aren't aware... there is an OUTSTANDING new tool available for aviation weather info. Check out www.weathermeister.com

This aviation weather website was developed and is maintained by Dan Checkoway (aka 'Sharpie') who is a SoCAL RV-7 builder/formation pilot and frequent contributor to Kitplanes Magazine. Many of you have probably visited his RV-7 website.... www.rvproject.com. Hands down the best RV builder website on the internet.

Dan has created a MASTERPIECE!!! Weathermeister.com is a FREE web-based tool that will absolutely change the way you currently get your weather infomation when flying locally or coast-to-coast in your RV. After experiencing www.weathermeister.com, you will NEVER go back to DUATS.

Weathermeister.com displays numerous weather charts, winds aloft info, best economy and best speed altitudes to fly based on up-to-the-minute winds aloft data, TFRs, forecast weather conditions at your destination and airports under your flight path, and much, much more.

If you sign up for the premium service ($4.95 monthly or $49.95 yearly...), you can store your own aircraft info and frequently flown cross-country routes that will accurately give you fuel burn, ETE, etc. The premium service is an unbelievable value once you see how powerful, and easy to use the tools available really are. I encourage everyone to visit www.weathermeister.com., evaluate it's awesome capabilities, and sign-up for the premium service to keep the site alive! (NOTE: The Premium service provides a LOT more info than the free site.)

As a government employee, I still don't understand how a fellow like Dan Checkoway can single-handedly provide such a useful tool for evaluating flight weather conditions when the entire government (read FAA...) can not provide readable or barely understandable weather info to us. Weathermeister.com displays it all so clearly.

If you haven't checked out www.weathermeister.com, you owe it to yourself to try it. I use it EVERY time I intend to fly...

Tell a friend about the site. They WILL thank you!!!

Jack Lockamy
RV-7A N174JL 250 hrs.
Camarillo, CA
www.jacklockamy.com

NOTE: Although Dan C. is a friend of mine, he is not aware of this posting nor did he endorse this message. I am in no way affiliated with www.weathermeister.com. I'm just a a VERY grateful user that appreciates the weather tool Dan has created and wanted to share it with my fellow RV builders/pilots who may not have discovered it yet.

I just signed up for it and it is a great flight planning tool. You really don't need anything else. Don

Dan's da Man

I agree with Jack. Dan is friend and this is totally unsolicited. Weathermeister is the only thing I use now. Can't think of anything else. Quick and easy to use. The ability to customize is great!!

I don't know how he does it, but I'm glad he does!!!

Thanks Dan.

Jack Lockamy said:
Dan has created a MASTERPIECE!!! Weathermeister.com is a FREE web-based tool that will absolutely change the way you currently get your weather infomation when flying locally or coast-to-coast in your RV. After experiencing www.weathermeister.com, you will NEVER go back to DUATS.

Weathermeister.com displays numerous weather charts, winds aloft info, best economy and best speed altitudes to fly based on up-to-the-minute winds aloft data, TFRs, forecast weather conditions at your destination and airports under your flight path, and much, much more.

Jack Lockamy
RV-7A N174JL 250 hrs.
Camarillo, CA
www.jacklockamy.com

QUOTE]

Jack,

You must be getting something for nothing if you're using weathermeister for FREE! All I get on the "free" site is abbreviated METAR's. :( If I click on winds or route it comes up saying that feature is only available with a subscription for a minimum of $4.95. The "premium" service you cite is $6.95 a month.

I used Dan's program religiously before it became a pay site, as did several of the RV'ers that I fly with.

I've been forced to go back to www.aeroplanner.com for my route maps and planning. It's totally FREE thru your EAA membership.
:)

Me too

I also used it when it was free. I tried a winds aloft check yesterday and it took me to the subscription page. Am I cheap? Maybe.
Regards,

I also used Dan's site when it was free although I did donate because I thought it was a good tool. Now it is a fantastic tool and worth every penny of the monthly fee. Try it for a month and you will get hooked. I like free stuff but I'm willing to pay for something I like and will use. Don

Maybe Dan will make enough money off this endeavour to get his airplane painted!

I suspect after it is all said and done that Dan will make enough off his innovative site to buy a hangar-full of RV's! ;)

f1rocket said:
Maybe Dan will make enough money off this endeavour to get his airplane painted! :p
2nd week of Feb it goes into the paint shop. (scheduled that long before Weathermeister went commercial, though!)

Thanks for the Weathermeister plugs, guys.

I fully understand a lot of people will be turned off by having to pay for this. We're all cheapskates at heart. But I do think that any active pilot who sees the "value-add" here will cough up 5 bucks a month (what's that, 1.25 gallons of 100LL?). I mean...the Flight Optimizer feature alone might save that money right off the bat! :cool:

Optimizer

Hey everyone,

I'm a little amazed that active fliers aren't willing to shell out a few bucks a month, especially since it is provided by fellow RVer. I'm pretty confident Dan won't be cruising into the airport in a new Ferrari because of all the money he is making on this endeavor.

I used the Optimizer today on a lunch flight to Laughlin, NV. I used the prescribed altitude and cruised. I'll bet I save $5 bucks worth of gas!!!

Lets put this into perspective folks. $5.95 a month. All you need to do is eliminate one fast food meal a month, on Grande Latte from Starbucks, 1.5 beers at a bar, and for those of you who smoke, a little more than one pack of cigarettes.

Come on guys, this is nothing for full service easy to use weather and planning service.

Best Weather Site on the WEB

I will totally agree with Jack. I have used Dan's site for numerous years and it saved my butt once and also a student pilot flying out of Addison,TX when I told the instructor that the weather just went IFR and the student was flying solo T&G practice or Crash and Dash at a near by airfield. He called the tower and told him to RTH and the weather went to 500' in less than 15 minutes and the sky was CLEAR where I was at. You could not see that on the Duats or other sights. All you had to do was click the 50 mile range and you could see that the weather was moving in. On my side I was taking the wife on a CC for breakfast and looked at the weather 5 times but thought that it was low fog and it would burn off. NOT SO. It would have been her second flight and I made the right call. Weather can sneak up on you and you need to use all the resources that you can. Weathermeister can help you with your situational awareness to the 10th degree. IT's $50.00. Spent that in a day at OSHKOSH.

Just my thoughts

Bruce Pauley
Rowlett TX
RV 7A
Kitlog
Emp done fiberglassing

I have NEVER seen any site as elegant, useful and simple as Weathermeister. I know Dan, but not that well, but I was one of the very early Premium subscribers, I'm a active CFI, and use the site all the time. Worth every penny, even if you don't make much (like me).

I really like Dan's weather site. I wish he had kept it as a donation only site like Doug does with this site. Speaking of which, I think I owe Doug a donation.