pvalovich

Well Known Member
In the 6+ years it has taken to construct my -8A technology has overtaken my initial planning/design process. I initially planned on using a 496 with XM weather. However, I now have upgraded to an AFS 4500 with an (expensive) XM option - and plan on using an Ipad with Foreflight. Weather overkill.

I'm leaning toward just using Foreflight. What will I be missing by forgoing XM?

Does Foreflight provide inflight weather updates? Their marketing info implies they do.

Any comments/opinions appreciated.

weather

I think they are expecting an in flight weather option on Foreflight this summer.

Maxwell

There is an ADSB option with WingX software running on an Ipad. You would need to purchase a Skyradar receiver ($950) to get ADSB (it also has a built in GPS). Not sure how close to flying you are but it may pay to wait till you are actually flying as the state of the art stuff keeps changing. Below is a quote from Foreflight Q&A:

"Is XM or ADS-B weather supported? Can I get updated weather in flight?

Currently there are hardware limitations that prevent us from supporting an ADS-B or XM WX receiver in a way that's consistent with the quality of the rest of the ForeFlight Mobile experience. In-flight weather is a high priority for us, and we're woking on adding support. Currently, you cannot receive weather updates when offline (such as is typical in flight) however you are able to view TAFs and Winds Aloft reports that you recently reviewed."

Last edited: