NovaBandit

Well Known Member
I'm going to have a triple screen G3X touch setup, with one of the screens being XM enabled, as well as a GDL39r for FIS-B.

I was planning on using the XM screen as the MDF, and also connect the GDL to that screen... as that is the one that will have redundant power.

However, I was recently told that weather data is NOT shared between screens. Is this true? Is there any way to view weather data on the PFD1 or PFD2? I was really looking forward to the co-pilot being able to pull weather and other data up on the screen in front of them, and the PFD and MFD would be purely for the use of the pilot.

Comments or ideas?

Weather

Good question. I have PFD1 in front of the pilot and MFD1 on the right side. Both are G3X Touch. GDL-39R feeds PFD1 via serial port and I don't get weather data on the MFD.

Andy

Hello Ed,

The GDL 39R connects to a single GDU display via RS-232. Traffic data is shared with other displays via the CAN network, but weather data is not currently shared. However, since you have G3X Touch displays, you may establish a Bluetooth connection from your second display to your GDL 39R if you wish to view the same weather data on two separate screens.

- Matt

Hello Ed,

The GDL 39R connects to a single GDU display via RS-232. Traffic data is shared with other displays via the CAN network, but weather data is not currently shared. However, since you have G3X Touch displays, you may establish a Bluetooth connection from your second display to your GDL 39R if you wish to view the same weather data on two separate screens.

- Matt

That sounds like it will work. I see on the specs of the GDL39R that it can support two bluetooth connections and a hardwired connection. So I should be able to hardwire my MFD and have bluetooth connections to PFD1 and PFD2? Or just bluetooth to one PFD and an iPad?

are there future plans to allow the weather to be shared? this seems like an oversight that should be addressed...bluetooth is just a hack

i'm considering purchasing a triple panel G3X touch for my lancair and would like to know about this

I second Brian's comment. I have been using the BT connection to the GDL 39 on my second Touch (MFD) and it works great for having weather on both screens. The PFD uses the hard wired connection.

This still leaves me with a spare BT connection on the GDL 39 for use with mobile devices and the G3X still has BT connections available for Connext functions.