638RS

Well Known Member
This months AOPA mag has a write up on WxWorx weather being available on the EKP-IV. (pg 155) They state the price as $1499. Same as the EKP-IV without weather. WxWorx also sent out a press release on the weather being available on April 8th, 2008.

The Avmap web site has no information on this nor did two vendors I called yesterday...

Does anyone have further info? Availability ? cost?

WxWorks on Avmap

This months AOPA mag has a write up on WxWorx weather being available on the EKP-IV. (pg 155) They state the price as $1499. Same as the EKP-IV without weather. WxWorx also sent out a press release on the weather being available on April 8th, 2008.

The Avmap web site has no information on this nor did two vendors I called yesterday...

Does anyone have further info? Availability ? cost?

You need to read that article again. The prices listed are for the 3 Avmap units that they claim WxWorx will work on. Then it goes on to explain the three or so levels of WxWorx that you can choose for additional $900+ to over $1,100+ for all the goodies. So the EK-IV at $1,499 + the best package of $1,100+ would put that weather capable unit at over $2,600.
Avmap can't seem to get the bugs out to release their units with weather capability so I'd be a little suspicious of Wxworx claims that it works fine.
Just my opinion.

thanks

for the clarification on pricing... I didn't read it close enough the first time...

Additionally, the article talks about using a "touch screen", which the AvMap is not. I was confused by that ad :confused:

Additionally, the article talks about using a "touch screen", which the AvMap is not. I was confused by that ad :confused:

Me too! Very confusing article to say the least. The info about it being available and working on the Avmap units was probably written early in the year when they thought everything was going fine. Since then there have been a lot of problems.
My local pilot shop that sells them was told the next units would be weather capable, this was back in January. Then they called me in February and said they received new EK-IV's and none had weather. They called customer service and that's when they were told it's going to be awhile yet!

XM-Weather update

Just looked on the AvMap website and found this announcement. Thought it might be of interest to up AvMap owners.

"Mashpee, MA, 2008-06-03
AVMAP TO OFFER XM SATELLITE WEATHER? ON SELECT GPS SYSTEMS
AvMap has been working with XM on the development and release of WX Satellite Weather. Recently, and article published in the AOPA magazine stated the release of weather capabilities with pricing. Unfortunately, this was an error.

Weather is not yet available.We are still testing the weather features to ensure excellent performance. When weather is released it will be compatible with the following units: EKPIV, EKPIV PRO, and GeoPilot II Plus.

In order to provide our customers with the high quality service they have come to expect we would like to notify them when weather does become available. Please email your full name and unit type to [email protected] to be automatically notified when XM Weather is available."

Hi Guys,

I am not an RV owner, but have been watching this thread for a while, so I thought I would add my experience.

Here are my experiences with the XM for my EKP-IV.

I was one of the first people to have this equipment. I actually flew up to Hyanis Mass. to meet with the factory rep to run me through the setup and operation. This was several days after the release announcement

I met with Dan from AvMap, who had brought along my new WxWorx receiver, along with his own receiver. As my receiver was not activated through XM, which can take several hours, he set up his receiver with my EKP -IV The setup was straight forward requiring only a second antenna and a plug in cable from the WxWorx receiver to the EKP unit, plus a 12 volt power source for the WxWorx receiver

The unit booted up, which takes about 10 minutes to activate all the functions. They become available as XM downlinks them

Dan showed me the various menu's and screens, which were easy to learn, and I was on my way.

On my return trip to FRG, which was about 1 hour, the XM function would not activate. I assumed this was because the XM subscription had not been put in place, which did not alarm me.

I arrived home, and removed the entire system, EKP, WxWorx receiver, and antennas and power cords, plus a battery pack and brought them home with me.

I set the unit up at home, and by the next morning, I was only able to receive METAR's . The unit should have been able to receive TAF's and NEXRAD radar.

After numerous phone calls to WxWorx (useless) XM- (Almost useless) and AvMAp ( Very Helpful) , and much finger pointing, the problem was finally diagnosed as a software "glitch" in the AvMap system. This was readily rectified by downloading additional software from AvMAp's web site. This software upgrade required me to purchase a card reader from Radio Shack for $20.00 ( a good idea anyway because database upgrades can now be accomplished online) I am told that this patch will be included in all new units.

I have now installed the unit on my Cessna 310, which required a lot of creative cable management. (I have no idea why AvMap gives you 30 feet of antenna cable and WxWorx gives you 20 feet!) The cable is so thin, that it does not lend itself to shortening and adding new connectors.

The unit seems to work fine in flight.

I signed up for the least expensive service, which was $30.00 per month. The only thing the more expensive service would give me is cloud to ground lightening, and as I have a stormscope, was of little value to me.

I now have NEXRAD, TAF, Metar and color differentiation of different types and intensities of precip. AvMap tells me that TFRs will become available later in the year, and be available as a download at no additional charge.
TFRs are also included in the least expensive XM package.

Finding TAFs at other airports other than your home airport is a bit cumbersome, but is doable.

One final carp is that if you zoom in too close, the colors of the Nexrad become very pixally. Not a problem, just annoying

All in all, $600.00 well spent.

Now we need to start harassing AvMap about adding ZAON traffic!:D

Hope this helps you.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for your input on WX/AvMap.

I allso went for the weather upgrade. First problem I had was that the unit would not power up. After talking with Dan (AvMap) and then WXWorx, it was determined that I had a shorted antenna. WxWorx shipped a new antenna out 2 day UPS no charge and shipper for return of defective antenna.
Like you I was only able to receice METAR but when I checked out AvMAp website I saw a new software version had been uploaded (.12.153R) and after upgrade it worked fine. Next task was to reconnect AvMap unit + weather to Dynon. No joy on Dynon. After talking with AvMap and posting question on Dynon site it turns out that while AvMap unit is in communication with the Wx unit, all NMEA traffic stops. The only way to get NMEA info flowing again is to turn the WX Data off from setup page on AvMap unit. Turning off power does NOT work. So that means for now that you have to enable/disable the weather in order to continue using AvMap info for Dynon or other units (Autopilot). It takes about 15 seconds to re-establish normal NMEA communications with Dynon. Turning wx data back on disconnects NMEA communications in less than 5 seconds but it can take a few minutes for the weather to get a total update.
So I would say that the first thing AvMap needs to do is to correct this communications issue otherwise they will continue to lose market share to Garmin even though the AvMap screen is sooo much larger and easier to read.

Just my thoughts YMMV???

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As my sainted Grand Pa used to say" You never want to buy the first 100 of anything":p

I am not familiar with the Dynon unit. I assume it is some sort of an EFIS/MFD display?

Are you trying to display the WX data from the WxWorx receiver on the Dynon display?

Does AvMap have a take on this? Dan seems to be pretty knowledgeable, and appears to have a pipeline to the engineering brains from AvMap and WxWorx.

Tricky business those bits and bytes.

Best of luck.

Steve

One thing I forgot to mention is in regard to the WxWorx patch antenna.

When I went to install the antenna on the glare shield, I passed it near my magnetic compass, and discovered that he patch antenna had a very powerful magnet embedded in the antenna,. I assume this is to mount the antenna on a dashboard of a car. NOT good on an airplane tho.

I called both WxWorx and AvMap, and neither seemed too concerned about this. WxWorx suggested I buy an antenna from Comant. I am tempted to try to dig the magnet out, but will not do so for warranty reasons.

Dumb Dumb Dumb!