Colyn

IVP driver taking advantage of the vast knowledge here on VAF:

Do any of you have stills or video of weather as displayed on GRT, preferably HX? I'm particularly interested in the knobology of getting to metars, tafs, and winds at different altitudes.

Also, has anyone tried to hook up a wx-500 to a grt system?

thanks,

Colyn Case
Hyde Park, Vt.

IVP driver taking advantage of the vast knowledge here on VAF:

Do any of you have stills or video of weather as displayed on GRT, preferably HX? I'm particularly interested in the knobology of getting to metars, tafs, and winds at different altitudes.

Also, has anyone tried to hook up a wx-500 to a grt system?

thanks,

Colyn Case
Hyde Park, Vt.

Hi Colyn,

First of all, welcome to VAF. Most everyone here should treat you well (even if some are jealous of not having a fast glass plane like yours). You'll find this place often is more active thant the LML.

I dont' have any pictures handy, but the majority of the systems we've sold (out of hundreds) have had weather with them so there should be some pics or videos floating around out there.

Also, the WX-500 is an easy hookup as GRT already has the format selectable on their serial port input choices.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks Stein,

I have no conceit about the IVP. RV drivers have a good all-around airplane AND a house.

I don't have a photo handy but here's how the "knobology" works:

It all works off a map page. The soft keys at the bottom will let you select radar or other choices. The right hand knob, when pushed, acts like a radar beacon - as you turn it, it sweeps across the map, and as it goes over airports they highlight, and display their ID (e.g., KSFO). Push the knob, and the airport info comes up. METAR is in lower left. Sometimes you have to scroll down a bit to see it. A menu key is displayed on this page that says "TAF". Push that and you get the TAF. If there isn't one, it goes and looks for the nearest airport that has one, and displays that.

I have XM light so I don't have winds aloft info.

I have the old WS display. However, I believe the functions are the same. At this moment the weather display is limited. It will display radar return, METARS, TAFS, and weather at airport. Wind aloft is not available yet.

Select radar will give you weather radar.
IMG_7460.JPG

This photo was taken inflight a few months ago.
IMG_2623.JPG

Choose "NONE" will show airport weather (color code for IFR/VFR).
Wind has not been implemented.
IMG_7462.JPG

Neither lightening.
IMG_7463.JPG

To get METARS and TAFS select the airport and it will be on the airport information section on lower left section of the display (see next photo).
IMG_7464.JPG

I did this on ground and no weather information was received.
IMG_7465.JPG

By the way, for traffic display GRT will cut off any above and below 4,000'.

Thanks Ted and Bob.

Another question comes up:

I just found out GRT can't talk to a GDL-69. What are people using for an xm receiver? ....and have you had problems?

Thanks Ted and Bob.

Another question comes up:

I just found out GRT can't talk to a GDL-69. What are people using for an xm receiver? ....and have you had problems?

That would be the WxWorx receiver you can buy from GRT (LOTS and lots cheper than a GDL by thousands of $$'s).

Cheers,
Stein

That would be the expected answer. (e.g. wr-10)

I'm wondering what people actually use and how reliable it is.

I have the wx worx receiver purchased directly from GRT. Mounted behind the panel to the sub-panel.
$500 +/- for the HX, or $1000+/- for the HS (HS needs another processor).
I have an HX and an HS and the weather is decoded by the HX and then sent to the HS (requires you dedicate a high speed serial line to this). Takes about 5 seconds to send all the data over.
If you have 2 HX's the data goes over the ethernet link.

Originally I had one issue - the wx worx receiver wouldn't always boot up. I had installed it per instructions, using the USB line from the HX for both data and power. GRT told me via email that the power requirements were right on the edge of what the powered USB could provide. I hard wired the wx worx receiver to a CB on the avionics bus, and have had no problems since.

XM antenna just sits on the glare shield. Won't lock in, usually, in the hangar (!) but locks in very quickly outside, works in all orientations as far as I can tell (fiberglass cabin top).

WX500 SLAVE DISPLAY OR MFD INTEGRATION

Hi folks;

I'm building a RV7A with a G3X GDU 460 touch.

I plan to install also a WX-500 Stormscope.

I believe there isn't yet support to integrate WX-500 with the G3X touch.

I think GTN 750 / 650 are both too much expensive to be mostly used as interface for the stormscope.

So I am looking for alternative solutions and suggestions.

Is there any cost effective solution from Garmin or other for interfacing with WX500 ?

Another thing... Does anyone knows a nice - color slave display - for WX500

If so please provide display's names or links for princing info...

Many thanks in advance.