videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Yesterday (Sat., Sept 12) was Airport Awareness Day at OVO (North Vernon, Indiana.) I invited some of the Ohio Valley Aviators formation over, and they provided a great show with a six-ship team.

I asked if they could haul any passengers and got a qualified "yes." I said one would be a WWII P-47 pilot, and the interest level picked up quite a bit. I called Gene Eaton, a fine guy who had sold his Tri-Pacer about five years ago. I had flown him in my 9A last year, and he hadn't lost the desire--or his touch!

Gene had a bit of trouble getting into the back seat of the RV-8, but the grin was unmistakable. He hadn't flown close formation since 1946, but he loved it, especially the break. Gene had the greatest flying job of WWII, that of high air cover for Pearl Harbor--after December, 7! After the war he set an altitude record in the P-47, 41,500'.

Another of the team took the editor of the local paper, and I expect a nice story to be published this week. I'll post a link.

It isn't all that difficult to make someone's day. I don't know why I thought of Gene when we set this up, but I'm sure glad I did. There are still a few of these old fellows around. Give 'em a call!

Bob Kelly

re: reporters

I still think that if more of us would invite reporters to go for rides with us, it would do nothing but create a positive image of us to the general public.
I don't personally know any reporters, but I'm quite sure there are several of you guys on here that do.
Maybe we should try to start something like the Young Eagles program for reporters.:confused: Say, shoot for 100 reporter rides is a given amount of time.:D
Really though, the more we can do to educate these people the better we can promote GA all together.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

Ya never know

An old friend of mine who used to fly ultralights and loved everything airplanes came to visit. We went up in the -4. Did some formation and some acro. He couldn't stop talking about it. Thanked me over and over.

One month to the day later, I walk in the house and my wife tells me he's dead. ALS was the diagnosis and he went quick. His widow told me the highlight of his LIFE was that last flight he took with me.

Whew! ...that was close. Now I remember to Proceed. No Delay!