It was time.
The Grandkids Lucy (8) and Gary(6) are now old enough to understand what's going on when in the airplane. So I decided that it was time to take them for a ride.

Once at the airport I showed them the cloth helmet and goggle setup and asked them if they wanted to use that or just wear the headset.
They wanted the helmet and goggles. So that's what they got. They even brought a pair of "goggles" for their bears, as you see.
I will probably get a rig for each of them if they continue to want to fly.
If they stick with it they will grow out of wanting to wear that rig but for now they think it's cool.
I'll probably start wearing mine as well when I go up with them.

Lucy went around with me for the pre-flight as did Gary. They both were very curious and wanted to do the same checks I did.

Gary was up first. I decided to do the same as I had done with Lucy - give him a ride in the back seat while I taxied around the apron.
I would see how he reacted and get him acclimated to the sight, noise and smell of being in an operating RV-8 - an airplane much smaller than he's ever been in.

Here I'm getting him settled into the seat and plugged into the intercom:

Garys_First_Taxi.jpg

I cranked up and took him for his taxi ride. He loved it. He wanted to go flying IMMEDIATELY. I was tempted but
figured I'd wait until he was just a little older.

He's psyched.

Then it was Lucy's turn.

I had previously taken Lucy for a taxi ride around the apron for the noise, feel, smell acclimation.
She has flown commercially but an RV-8 is something else entirely. The Young Eagles program specifies an age range of 8-18.
So Lucy is now old enough to fly. Also the Young Eagles flights seem to be just one circuit in the pattern.
I thought that was a good idea - see how she reacted - though I left room for a second circuit.

Here I'm getting her settled into the seat and plugged into the intercom:

Lucys_First_Flight.jpg

After I got her strapped in we started the engine, taxied out and performed the usual ATC communications
....during all of which Lucy kept very good talking discipline. After the run-up we set up to takeoff and away we went.
I checked on her often to see that she was ok -she was her usual fearless force-of-nature self.
So I decided to do a touch and go and a second circuit which she loved. She was suprised by how noisy it is
but otherwise there was no problem - she's ready to go again.

After landing the Tower gave us our taxi instructions and said to stick with their frequency. After the repeat-back I announced:

"And we have a new Young Eagle Pilot - Lucy!"

To which the tower replied, "YEAH!"

The day was a complete success and Lucy, Gary and I look forward to more flights together.

It was time.
The Grandkids Lucy (8) and Gary(6) are now old enough to understand what's going on when in the airplane. So I decided that it was time to take them for a ride.

Once at the airport I showed them the cloth helmet and goggle setup and asked them if they wanted to use that or just wear the headset.
They wanted the helmet and goggles. So that's what they got. They even brought a pair of "goggles" for their bears, as you see.
I will probably get a rig for each of them if they continue to want to fly.
If they stick with it they will grow out of wanting to wear that rig but for now they think it's cool.
I'll probably start wearing mine as well when I go up with them.

Lucy went around with me for the pre-flight as did Gary. They both were very curious and wanted to do the same checks I did.

Gary was up first. I decided to do the same as I had done with Lucy - give him a ride in the back seat while I taxied around the apron.
I would see how he reacted and get him acclimated to the sight, noise and smell of being in an operating RV-8 - an airplane much smaller than he's ever been in.

Here I'm getting him settled into the seat and plugged into the intercom:

View attachment 69547
I cranked up and took him for his taxi ride. He loved it. He wanted to go flying IMMEDIATELY. I was tempted but
figured I'd wait until he was just a little older.

He's psyched.

Then it was Lucy's turn.

I had previously taken Lucy for a taxi ride around the apron for the noise, feel, smell acclimation.
She has flown commercially but an RV-8 is something else entirely. The Young Eagles program specifies an age range of 8-18.
So Lucy is now old enough to fly. Also the Young Eagles flights seem to be just one circuit in the pattern.
I thought that was a good idea - see how she reacted - though I left room for a second circuit.

Here I'm getting her settled into the seat and plugged into the intercom:

View attachment 69548
After I got her strapped in we started the engine, taxied out and performed the usual ATC communications
....during all of which Lucy kept very good talking discipline. After the run-up we set up to takeoff and away we went.
I checked on her often to see that she was ok -she was her usual fearless force-of-nature self.
So I decided to do a touch and go and a second circuit which she loved. She was suprised by how noisy it is
but otherwise there was no problem - she's ready to go again.

After landing the Tower gave us our taxi instructions and said to stick with their frequency. After the repeat-back I announced:

"And we have a new Young Eagle Pilot - Lucy!"

To which the tower replied, "YEAH!"

The day was a complete success and Lucy, Gary and I look forward to more flights together.
Congratulations and warm wishes to Lucy on her great new adventure! This was just what I needed this weekend. And I love the bear goggles!

Last edited: