dbuds2

Well Known Member
:(Very disappointed with results of drilling cockpit rails (F-816), spacers (F-856), and Front seatback support (WD-808). Ref DWG 72 full pre-punched fuselage.

When I cleco'd the seatback support plates (F-817) to the bulkheads (F-805/806), they pulled away from the bulkheads as soon as the seatback support was cleco'd. I think the support is too narrow because my longerons fit almost perfectly.

There are four pre-drilled holes in the steel seatback support that have to be drilled from inside and up thru all 3 parts. After the first hole was not in a straight line (and close to the edge), I looked over the plans but the view is an off angle perspective. So I mistakenly pressed on.

As you can see from these pictures, and obvious after disassembly, the holes are mis positioned. It's definitely not symmetrically pretty, I don't think it's a structural issue, but, I'm afraid when the bulkheads and support plates are hard riveted, and the AN3 bolts are tightened, the longerons will pulled inward.

If this unacceptable, I probably have to replace the rails, spacers, and the steel support.

img3423enlargedmm0.jpg

img3424enlargedab1.jpg

Same :-(

I had a similar edge, though rather than being off at an angle mine was with edge distance. Cleco's had not held the basic assembly tight enough. I ordered new rails, spacers *and* frame* (not cheap with the shipping to NZ!) and did it over. Better next time around with everything clamped tight, but still not as good as I would have expected with pre-punched parts.

It is a common problem and luckily I had read about it. I used huge clamps across the fuse with quite a bit of pressure to get everything to work.

Longerron still straight??

Thanks, is this forum too cool, or what!!!!!!!

After you did the clamping across the fuse, and everything riveted/bolted tight, were the longerons bowed at the support?

Seat Back Support

Edge distance on the spacer is not important. It's just a spacer, so it's not structural. I don't know about the side rail structurally, but I think the structural strength in that area comes from the side rails and the seatback support being bolted to the fuselage sides. It doesn't look wonderful, but call Van's and ask them about structural considerations before buying anything. You can always hide blemishes with paint. My spacer moved on mine and I have a hole pretty close to the edge, but it is OK otherwise.

Scott Hersha

Van's Builder Assistance is Great

Talked to Vans, very helpful and interested. They visited this site to see the pictures and called me back.

Several options, I'll probably weld the Seatback support holes closed, buy new spacers and siderails and start over. The rails are about $30 each, the seatback support is around $80 (both from memory).

The guys at Van's were having a meeting yesterday and this subject was on the agenda for updating the build instructions.

For those builders getting close to this point, follow the plans, but, add a step to use tie down straps around the whole fuselage to pull these parts up tight to each other. I personally think you could cleco the spacer to the support, use the holes in the spacer to drill the remaining holes thru the support, then cleco everything together and drill all the hole from the underside of the support up thru the 3 piece assembly.