I noticed while inspecting my elevator control horn prior to mounting that it has a 1/4" gap in the weld around the main tube to control horn intersection. Everything else seems to be as it should but I'm not sure about this gap. Seems like the integrity of the joint is compromised and also a place for moisture migration. Any help or advise on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Martti Benson
RV-9
Empennage complete (almost)
SB Wings ordered

Clearance I think

I'm not familiar with the 9, but I believe other models have this for clearance for the washer when you install the bolt connecting the two horns. You could call Van's to be sure.

It's correct.

I'm not familiar with the 9, but I believe other models have this for clearance for the washer when you install the bolt connecting the two horns. You could call Van's to be sure.

As Sean said it is correct and is for bolt and or washer clearance.

I'm sure the responses are correct but ...

On my RV-6A the elevator horns were not welded at the correct location on the mating part and I had to fill at the pivot point and bolt a large block of aluminum between the two horns to stabilize the assembly. In my case it was a manufacturing error by the supplier acknowledged by Van's when I called. It was not considered serious but the stabilizing block was suggested as something I could add. This happened probably more than 10 years ago. I found that when something is not right per the drawing or is incorrect for any reason it is good to call the factory. Back then at least, they were aware of manufacturing errors/lot variations but the word didn't always get out to all the builders. Manufacturing errors will always occur and I doubt that the company/builder communication is perfect even now. The point here is don't hesitate to call the source about things like this - they are the only ones that have a chance to see it all - and they need feedback on what gets past their controls.

Bob Axsom