Gagarin737

Well Known Member
I'm upto page 09-03 step 4.
With this step you cleco the WD-1207 and WD-1208 to the spar assembly.
The horns doesn't fit very well and after consulting Van's they advice me to make shims to put in between. The gap is about 3/32 inch.
According Van's I'm not the first one. Did anyone else had the same problem and do you have a picture of how you solved it?

Thanks in advance, Joeri.

09-03%2Bstep4.jpg

Last edited:
Joeri- My control horns fit the same way around the box spar- I used AN960-10 or 10L's (whichever fit best) to shim the parts gap. You don't want to tighten the bolts enough to draw the gap together, or you will distort the box spar. Steve

Shims?

Seems that Van's may have a quality control problem her and they should fix it. Simple as that. Sending us shims is not a great 'fix' in my mind. Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

I called Vans about this in January. I must have been the first one to call them on this becuase they stated that they had not heard of that. I did not see it as a huge problem . So I made a couple .060 spacers(same size as the horn mounting surface and match drilled) to fill the void. Before I installed them I call Vans to alert them to the problem and ask if they agreed with my fix. They said yes that would work OK. I just use some of my scrap .060 sheet material.

The problem looks like their jigs for building the horns are off by .060 (to wide)

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD

Thanks for the replies! Brad you are right. The horns are off by .060.
I ended up with fabricating 4 shims of .032 alclad (I didn't have .060). Fit is perfect, no slop. Used one each side.

09-03%2Bstep4a.JPG

09-03%2Bstep5.JPG

Last edited:
Just ran into the horns that have a gap. I'll still call Vans since this thread is 3 years old and the parts still don't fit. I plan on measuring the skin holes tomorrow to make sure they'll line up when it all comes together. Looks to be the reported 1/16 (0.062) on the gap.

Just got to this step tonight and find that I also have the same gap total of front to back. I remember seeing another post that Vans recommended shimming equally on both sides of box to center the horn as it appears previous posts have done. Will also contact Vans for approval to do this. Not sure why horns are made too wide with the excellent fit of the spar box. Maybe tolerance with fab distortion of bracket?

Mine fit nice and snug without shims...........so there must be some variance in the horns.

Jim