cjensen

Well Known Member
As I was riding my little scooter to work today, I noticed the wind noise in my ears (I switched back to the half helmet today for the summer months), and I kept thinking "Man, this is REALLY loud!! I wonder if this is detrimental to my hearing." I'm very consious of my ears and protecting them (I wear hearing protection when I mow...), and I can't help but wonder about the wind noise.

I know there a lot of riders here, so I wondered if anyone has thought about this. Those that ride with a half helmet (or no helmet-shame, shame!), do you wear any kind of plugs? Is is loud enough to worry?

Chad,

As a guy who's wife is a speech therapist, I can tell you for sure that wind noise is detrimental to your hearing. As a matter of fact, I have been scolded by my wife for driving with the drivers side window down. And truth be told, I notice that I have a little more trouble hearing out of my left ear than my right. Further, I have a hearing test scheduled for this Thursday AM. Put in earplugs, then put on the helmet. :)
How are we gonna talk airplanes at Saturday AM breakfasts if you can't hear me. I don't know sign language.

Ben

As long as we're on it, I had my ears examined a while back and learned that I've got a pretty good case of "surfer's ear". The doc tells me that this is an overgrowth of bone in the ear canal in response to prolonged exposure to cold water. He said that surfers are virtually the only people who get it, but I'm guessing eskimos too. He said I have no issues with hearing yet and I rarely surf any more so it'll be okay. For those of you who do surf and want to keep your hearing you might consider some form of protection. Oh, he also said that the corrective surgery is quite a big deal.

Don't let em know you have earplugs in

I use earplugs on rides outside of city limits but in many states(including my state) earplugs and headphones are illegal to use while driving.

"Surfer's Ear"? I thought I had every long term affliction you could get from surfing but I have never heard of that one (no pun intended).

hugh

william weesner said:
none of the people i hunt with wear hearing protection except me and that was after the first one when i noticed i couldnt hear well out of my left ear for a day or two
If you have to fire that many times, it may be an indictment of your marksmanship... ;)
Just kidding... I wear hearing protection for all shooting, indoors and out, cutting grass, etc. Not for riding though. I wear a full helmet and I want to be able to hear traffic. Harley's make a pretty low freq rumble, not as damaging to hearing as the high pitch rice grinder whine.......

Motorcycles

cjensen said:
I know there a lot of riders here, so I wondered if anyone has thought about this. Those that ride with a half helmet (or no helmet-shame, shame!), do you wear any kind of plugs? Is is loud enough to worry?
My sister is an ER nurse, and she was able to convince me to stop riding altogether. If you like riding, don't talk to someone like her. In her hospital some of the people there call a motorcycle crash a "hamburger case". I could go on, but I don't want to ruin your fun, like she did for me. Your "brain bucket" style helmet is what reminded me of this...sorry.

rv8ch said:
My sister is an ER nurse, and she was able to convince me to stop riding altogether. If you like riding, don't talk to someone like her. In her hospital some of the people there call a motorcycle crash a "hamburger case". I could go on, but I don't want to ruin your fun, like she did for me. Your "brain bucket" style helmet is what reminded me of this...sorry.
I know what you mean Mickey. I'm probably one of the most timid riders out there. I take side streets and neighborhoods to get to and from. It probably takes me about 5 to 10 minutes longer, but I ride the scoot to save money on gas (I average about 75mpg, and it holds 1.5 USG), so while it is fun, it's not the main motivator for me. I'm probably the only guy in town that will wear a helmet, pants, leather gloves, and a leather jacket all summer long with temps in the 90's. I get plenty of strange looks, but I'm as safe as I can possibly be. Rode all summer last year like that...I may just stick to the full face though... :eek:

sprucemoose said:
I wear hearing protection for all shooting, indoors and out, cutting grass, etc. Not for riding though. I wear a full helmet and I want to be able to hear traffic. Harley's make a pretty low freq rumble, not as damaging to hearing as the high pitch rice grinder whine.......

Now I don't mean to bust your balls or anything, but riding a scooter is as loud as mowing or shooting. IMHO, you can hear traffic just fine thru a set of ear plugs. And you're comparing Harley noise to a rice burner? I dunno about that, it seems to me that virtually any Harley out there is louder than my CBR 600F4 with a stock pipe; I wear earplugs under my full helmet mainly to block the wind noise... exhaust noise really isn't a problem. On the other hand, most Harleys seem pretty LOUD to me...

And why is it that an expensive Arai helmet is so dern noisy? Waaah.

jbDC9,

Don't take me seriously. Just trying to stir up the pot with my Harley bias (if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand...) Of course Harley's are loud. That's what makes them Harley's. FWIW though they are louder to everyone else than they are the rider.