tinman

Well Known Member
Have any of you tried to wax polished aluminum as an attempt to maintian the shine, and if so, how did it work out for you? I was thinking that a carnuba wax would be the way to go since it would be easier to strip if one were to change their mind later and desire a painted aircraft...

The guys at Perfect Polish (Nuvite and polishing system retailer) say - Do NOT use Wax.

They state that the wax must be removed before re-polishing. They state that polishing acts to "form" the aluminum an make it more resistant to corrosion. Over time, the time between re-polishing is suppose to get longer and longer as surface of the aluminum gets more corrosion resistant.

Over time, the time between re-polishing is suppose to get longer and longer

Knowing my love for polishing anything I wonder if the "longer and longer" is the result of it "looking good enough" for longer and longer periods of time. :) I am sure that would be my case. But that is just me. Lazy :D

PS: I would think that wax would potentially be a nightmare if the plane were ever to be painted.

I wouldn't use anything but Nuvite. Tried several things, always come back to Nuvite.