ctbecker

Well Known Member
I just finished fitting/drilling the baggage door and was wondering if/how anyone is addressing waterproofing not only around the door itself, but the whole area of the top skin to prevent water from getting in and around the front cockpit area, specifically behind the panel. A thin coat of proseal on the bulkheads? How about a gasket for the door it self? The area around the hinge looks particularly vulnerable. While I don't expect to be flying in heavy rain, I do expect the plan to get wet on occassion.

Charlie Becker
N464CB RV8A(H6-Subie)
Finishing

It's not needed. The wind pushes the water past everything for the most part. What little water might infiltrate the joint, would simply trickle down the inside surface, if at all. I've flown in the rain in my Rocket, which has a removable cowl over the avionics, and I've never even noticed a spot of water on the inside.

Now the canopy, that's a different story!

(Addendum - Let me add that this is one of the typical areas where first-time builders tend to over-complicate things by over thinking the situation. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be concerned about water, but just be careful that you don't come up with a complicated solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. I've been there and done it many times in the past.)

Last edited:
What about sitting outside in a rainstorm where there isn't air moving across the area?
This is more of a concern to me ... doubt I'll be flying in much rain.

Thomas

I look at this problem in two parts - in-flight and on the ground:

1) In flight - I agree that the water is moving by too fast to really leak in. I've flown the Val in enough rain to tel that none really gets inside.

2) On the ground - My airplane lives in a hangar, and when it has to sit outside on an away-trip, I have a really good canopy cover (Bruce's') that covers the forward deck and fuselage NACA scoop. The biggest problem with rain operations is getting the cockpit wet when you're trying to get in and out and it is pouring. 25 years of Grumman flying taught me to be quick!

Paul

TShort said:
What about sitting outside in a rainstorm where there isn't air moving across the area?
This is more of a concern to me ... doubt I'll be flying in much rain.

Thomas
Yep, I wasn't thinking of that. Paul's right, invest in a good canopy cover.