Vlad

Well Known Member
I am parked under the elements and I remove the canopy cover nearly every day. The birds, dust, bugs, pollen etc after a rainy day makes the cover soiled. Once in a while I just shove it into a washing machine and turn on gentle wash. Does anybody know what kind of water repellant they use on canopy covers?

Mine is made from Sunbrella material and I would suspect most quality ones are. It is about the best UV resisting material out there which is why it is used extensively in the Marine and Awning industries. The chemical makeup of the fibers is naturally UV resistant and does not require any coating. In fact, you don't want a coating. The other benefit of Sunbrella is that it is breathable and gives up it's moisture, and any under the cover, through evaporation. Coatings can block that evaporation and allow/encourage mold and mildew growth under the cover. Not something you want on your canopy. You don't ever want a water repellent cover on an acyrlic product unless you can insure it is 100% effective!

Larry

Last edited:
Glen Raven Mills, the maker of Sunbrella fabric, endorses 303 Fabric Guard to restore water repellency.

Spec sheet here
http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/303%20Fabric%20Guard%20MSDS.pdf
I have used this product with good results in marine applications but did not have the fabric in contact with clear Plexi.

I didn't realize 303 was considered a water repellent. I use it in many applications for it's excellent UV protection. I was surprised that it stated that it would not change a products breathability. However, I still wouldn't put it anywhere near acrylic for fear of crazing. From the product description:

"Do not use Fabric Guard on vinyl, clear vinyl, zippers, plastics, rubber, fiberglass or imitation suede."

I believe that the standard 303 stuff if ok for vinyl and rubber, so this must be different.

It may or may not create issues post application. If you can separate the sunbrella from the inner cover before application, it might work well.

Larry

Options....

Vlad, I had one of Bruce's covers, when it lost it's water repellency?....I took it home and sprayed with Scotchguard. Supposedly this teflon or silicon type of surface treatment doesn't totally stop the breathing of the fabric, but it was really a last resort to extend the life of the fabric.
Larry may be entirely correct, but I wasn't too worried about the mildew part, as long as the wind blows, the thing dries out. The worst part was those spring and fall days where it melted the snow or frost, then refroze overnite.
It was totally GLUED on one morning....no flying that day!
so.....
after 10 years and a few washings & restitching, it was toast, and had to be replaced.

A lot of this depends upon your cover style. The Sunbrella material doesn't need to be water repellent to last it's lifetime of 8-10 years. In my case, I have a microfiber material under the Sunbrella layer and it always gets wet in rain. Because the Sunbrella is breathable, mine seems to let moisture through to soak the inner layer, even when new. The water repellancy only keeps the Sunbrella fibers dry. In my case, I am not worried about the water repellency of the Sunbrella.

I believe that when Bruce reconditions a cover, they remove the inner layer, clean the Sunbrella, re-stitch it and re-condition, probably with 303. The key is that the inner material isn't getting the 303 coating.

I am just paranoid about the canopy as it seems that various chemicals can easily cause crazing and I have no desire to re-live my canopy installation any time soon.

Larry

I have used Scotchgard water repellent on my OLD Cleaveland Aircraft canopy cover.

Years ago, Amway Dry-Fab was the water repellant of choice. Not sure if Amway still makes / markets it.

the REAL answer.....

well, for all of us like Vlad, Larry et al, here's the best canopy cover, usually water repellent for the life of the owner.
ultimate%20cover_zpsc1to3isn.jpg

sorry, just had to! :rolleyes: ( caution, wheelpants may NOT be 100% doggy repellent!)

OK, seriously -

Look at Nikwax products. Some go in the washing machine with the product to be treated. Others spray on. No problem with zippers etc. The stuff i used on an old tent worked well, did not stiffen the fabric or any significant weight.

http://nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=268

We use that on our down pillows and sleeping bags. It's about the only product that will not take the oil off the down, yet still clean it.

Larry

Vlad,

If you have one of Bruce's covers, they'll send you a free bottle of UV/water repellent. See their website FAQ entry about cleaning the cover.

Vlad,

If you have one of Bruce's covers, they'll send you a free bottle of UV/water repellent. See their website FAQ entry about cleaning the cover.

Greg thanks. I do have one of Bruce's covers and they indeed sent me the liquid once a year. Nice people there. First couple times it was two bottles and was enough. Last time it was only one bottle and I barely covered it. Now the cover shows the wear and in need of more treatment. I just want to buy enough solution to last at least half a season.