idleup

Well Known Member
I just installed the round duckworks landing light in my wing. I was wondering how you prevent water from getting in the wing bay through the lense opening? I noticed in the instructions under 2.11 that it recommends putting the small included foam strip around the opening between the wing skin and the lense to prevent moisture from seeping through. However in 2.6 it says to use the foam strip to wrap around the the rim of the lamp... so what did you guys do?

- Matt

I put the foam on the lense. I doubt that the foam will keep out water, but the small holes inherent to the parts should allow the water to bleed out. I flew in rain a few times and never saw any evidence of water trapped in the wing.

Roberta

Any water would probably run back to the main spar, then run inboard. There are small gaps at the lower aft corner of the nose ribs, so the water could run to the wing root, then probably go aft and exit somewhere.

Lots of RVs with Duckworth lights have flown in the rain, or sat outside in the rain. This has never been mentioned as an actual problem.

Find something else to worry about. :)

well, I thought that maybe everyone who had them had used the foam seals around the lens. That is why I was wondering if anyone had not used the foam and what there experience was.

- Matt

Kevin Horton said:
Any water would probably run back to the main spar, then run inboard. There are small gaps at the lower aft corner of the nose ribs, so the water could run to the wing root, then probably go aft and exit somewhere.
Not probably, actually. :) I have no foam on my lenses. Water does get in the wing. Not much, but enough to leave a slight outline in the dust that I can see at condition inspection time.

Been about a hundred years since I installed those lights, but as I near completion I'm trying to remember if I'm supposed to run the glass lenses over the actual light assembly. Anybody know?

szicree said:
Been about a hundred years since I installed those lights, but as I near completion I'm trying to remember if I'm supposed to run the glass lenses over the actual light assembly. Anybody know?

The note that came with my duckworks plans said: Its optional - some people like the look and some people would rather save weight. I left em out.

I thought I remembered the same thing, but I'm now wondering what's gonna happen to the bulb when it's on and rain gets in there.

szicree said:
I thought I remembered the same thing, but I'm now wondering what's gonna happen to the bulb when it's on and rain gets in there.

I guess that it doesn't spray too hard in there (I installed the foam seals). I've been flying only a few times in rain - so far no probelm.