MS19087

Well Known Member
In an earlier career I was an avionics engineer in the defense industry. We were always chasing noise and ways to mitigate it. Fast forward 30 years when building my -9A and now my -14A, I go to great lengths to insure I don’t introduce noise into any of my systems. So when choosing a lighting system I went with WAT as they have decades of experience with these issues.

WATs Orion series LED lights utilize “linear” power supplies which don’t generate noise or require complicated grounding schemes. I considered other systems which utilized “switching” power supplies - these are characteristically noisy. Systems with switching power supplies have historically been able to be packaged a smaller footprint/volume.

I really wanted a WAT solution for my taillight as the Orion 500 taillight wouldn’t easily fit into the rudder fairing on our RVs. I was very pleased when I learned that WAT had listened to our calls (or at least my call) for a design that worked for us RVers. This weekend I installed the new Orion 550 tail light and it fits nicely - no fiberglass surgery required. I had previously installed the Orion wingtip nav/strobes and now have a complete Orion system legal for night flight.

By the way, I have no affiliation with WAT, just a satisfied customer who appreciates it when vendors listen.

Attachments

• E9A3B706-7DEE-4D1E-8051-7EBB04BD1625.jpg
    E9A3B706-7DEE-4D1E-8051-7EBB04BD1625.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2E3FBD24-069E-474B-BC76-74DF176B3103.jpg
    2E3FBD24-069E-474B-BC76-74DF176B3103.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 109
  • BCB1BDCA-8546-4290-8754-65B4AF0A91C7.jpg
    BCB1BDCA-8546-4290-8754-65B4AF0A91C7.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 119
+1 on aerospace-quality LED lighting design. I have one incandescent bulb in my airplane (and would have none if B&C would update their LR-3 regulator design :)). Whelen Orions are dead quiet, and the Baja Designs landing lights create virtually no noise. Couldn't be happier that I didn't have to chase down noise gremlins!

Dave

Last edited:
In an earlier career I was an avionics engineer in the defense industry. We were always chasing noise and ways to mitigate it. Fast forward 30 years when building my -9A and now my -14A, I go to great lengths to insure I don’t introduce noise into any of my systems. So when choosing a lighting system I went with WAT as they have decades of experience with these issues.

WATs Orion series LED lights utilize “linear” power supplies which don’t generate noise or require complicated grounding schemes. I considered other systems which utilized “switching” power supplies - these are characteristically noisy. Systems with switching power supplies have historically been able to be packaged a smaller footprint/volume.

I really wanted a WAT solution for my taillight as the Orion 500 taillight wouldn’t easily fit into the rudder fairing on our RVs. I was very pleased when I learned that WAT had listened to our calls (or at least my call) for a design that worked for us RVers. This weekend I installed the new Orion 550 tail light and it fits nicely - no fiberglass surgery required. I had previously installed the Orion wingtip nav/strobes and now have a complete Orion system legal for night flight.

By the way, I have no affiliation with WAT, just a satisfied customer who appreciates it when vendors listen.

Thank you for your business Mark!