Ok I'm trying to decide what gps antenna I will need.

Single screen Garmin G3X touch with a GDL39R ADS-B.

From reading both manuals it looks like both units can share one antenna.(connected to the GDU 460). The g3x lists non WASS antennas like the external mount GA56 that I was planning to use (VFR no XM will work for me).

The GDL 39 manual list WASS antennas like GA35

So does the system need a WASS GPS antenna?

Ok I'm trying to decide what gps antenna I will need.

Single screen Garmin G3X touch with a GDL39R ADS-B.

From reading both manuals it looks like both units can share one antenna.(connected to the GDU 460). The g3x lists non WASS antennas like the external mount GA56 that I was planning to use (VFR no XM will work for me).

The GDL 39 manual list WASS antennas like GA35

So does the system need a WASS GPS antenna?

Hello Jared,

Thanks for choosing a G3X Touch system!

Your GDU 460 will require a GPS antenna and it will share GPS data and pressure altitude data with your GDL 39R, so you only need to connect a UAT antenna to the GDL 39R.

A list of acceptable GPS antennas to use with your GDU 460 are provided on page 17-2 of the Rev. P G3X Installation Manual, and yes the GA 56 is listed as one acceptable antenna.

It has been a very long time since we used a GPS receiver that wasn't WAAS capable, so we don't always specifically identify antennas like the GA 26C and GA 56 as being WAAS GPS antennas. Perhaps this is where the confusion comes from. All of the GPS antennas identified on page 17-2 work great with the high performance WAAS GPS receiver built into the GDU 460 display.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
As Steve mentioned... the GDL will get the gps data without a separate antenna.
For the ADS-B signal... just an inexpensive transponder stub antenna works fine and takes little space. Keep it a few feet from your normal transponder antenna. I routinely get five stations shortly after take off with mine.
It is not transmitting, so VSWR and other issues normally attached to new antennas are minimized. You will see lots of traffic and be able to scroll through and select the winds aloft at different altitudes etc.
Metars, radar precip and more make it quite a utility.