TShort

Well Known Member
In an effort to get back to building after several years, I've begun organizing, etc.

The fuse is filthy - dust, dirt, cobwebs, bugs, etc.

Any reason I shouldn't take it outside on the rotisserie and hose it out thoroughly with water? I can't think of any, but wondered if there's any downside.

Thanks
Thomas

I would hit it with compressed air to blow off all of the dust, then come back and wipe everything down with a damp cloth. I wouldn't want to soak it with a hose -- you'll just make all of the grime turn into mud.

I'd wash it with some good soap and water. If you cal leave it in the sun for awhile it will dry off faster.

I suppose some might be worried about water being trapped in places and that starting corrosion. If that has you spooked you could always go around with an air hose working water out of any seams, etc.

But it it were me I'd just wash it and forget it. Did that several times when I was building. Always nice not to get so filthy just working around it.

Blow it off inside and out and wash it with mild soap and water. Rinse thoroughly with LOTS of clean water, blow it off again and let it dry.

Clean fresh water wont hurt a thing.

If there is something near a universal solvent, it is WATER. ALL water, short of distilled, has dissolved solids that make ions, ions conduct, conduction leads to corrosion, you don't want corrosion.

If your hot water heater last 30 years, and you dont get water spots, and don't need a water softener then your mineral content is low.

Suggestion: Blow it off and clean with damp something, unless you have a ready access to DI water, deionized that is.

The choice remains and, is always, yours.

Ha ha! Thanks!

Hoping to get back into things once winter comes around ... too much going on outdoors right now with the garden, etc.

Thanks for the welcome!

T.

Thomas!

Welcome back into the game!

When I went on "hiatus" we will call it, I hosed and washed the fuse with dishwashing liquid.

I plan on it being professionally painted when I am done and I dare say that the dishwashing liquid won't be a problem.

See you at OSH when we are done!

Keep it up!

:) CJ