Jim P

Well Known Member
I'm curious, but does anyone know what material a standard steel AN960 washer is made of? Is that 4130?

Thanks Gil.

Gil found it before I did. The info I found is located here. Most of the Mil and NAS part specs now must be purchased. Being a frugal RV flyer, I try to find the info for free that is also accurate.

NAS1149 series washers are the replacement for AN960 washers.

Letter codes that Gil talks about are:

C = 300 Stainless
D = 2024T3 Aluminum
E = A 286 High Temp Stainless
F = 1020 Carbon Steel
G = 4130 Alloy Steel

I used a lot of the D in place of the F that came with the kit.

Thanks Gil.

Gil found it before I did. The info I found is located here. Most of the Mil and NAS part specs now must be purchased. Being a frugal RV flyer, I try to find the info for free that is also accurate.

NAS1149 series washers are the replacement for AN960 washers.

Letter codes that Gil talks about are:

C = 300 Stainless
D = 2024T3 Aluminum
E = A 286 High Temp Stainless
F = 1020 Carbon Steel
G = 4130 Alloy Steel

I used a lot of the D in place of the F that came with the kit.

Gary, Thanks for finding the replacement washer spec...

It's interesting that while everyone might be shipping the NAS washers, they seem to list them and sell them as AN960s...:)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/flatwashers.php

Not Gahco we offer both AN and NAS numbers....

Gary, Thanks for finding the replacement washer spec...

It's interesting that while everyone might be shipping the NAS washers, they seem to list them and sell them as AN960s...:)

Not Gahco we offer both AN and NAS numbers, with cross reference of superseding as well as superseded item #'s.

Thanks for sharing our link Gil :)

Last edited:
consolidation?

I was putting my hardware away and trying to consolidate with some of my existing leftovers. The AN bolts are easy, they are the same numbers. The old AN960 washers look the same as the new NAS1149. Van's RV-14 inventory list calls out NAS1149 as a replacement for the AN960. So why can't I bring myself to put the AN960s in with the NAS1149s? :confused:

Jeff