Bruce

Well Known Member
Friend
My friend left his gps puck on the windscreen and it melted
the windscreen. Just to put the word out and see if anyone
else had it happen and the best question is CAN it be fixed.

Distorted the view on the left side of windscreen and glad
he flies out of right seat in 7A.

HELP.
Can it be reheated ???????????? and pushed from the inside.
the outside is smooth.

Or call airplane plastics and see if they have solution.

Thanks in advance

Confused

How could the GPS puck melt the windscreen? I have mine in the center of my 9A and wondering if I need to move it before first flight!

My biggest fear with the plane is having to redo the canopy!!!

I have both the XM and gps pucks right up at the windshield on my -9A.
its been at least 100 hours for the XM and closer to 200 for the gps.
no issues yet..

In Phoenix

Mine has been there for nearly a couple years now here in the Phoenix area have not noticed anything. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info.

I would love to see a picture of this, you could really save a lot if RVs if this is a true problem.

Mine gets warm but not that warm, sitting right out in the sun on my glare shield.

The original poster is claiming that the GPS puck was attached to the windscreen (and that it presumably got very hot and melted the windscreen). Personally I'd like to see a photo.

However in your case you say that the puck is attached to the glareshield. I can't see how that could possibly melt your windscreen.

The plane was sitting on the ramp for 2 hours. Canopy closed and the puck
was on the glareshield.
I will see if he can post a pic.

A little distraction here

You sold your RV-7A Bruce? All of that beautiful polished metal work. Wow, I never saw that coming. Back on topic. Antenna color is important. It is no problem for me since mine is mounted externally aft of the canopy but since this actually happened and I personally know and trust you the next line of questions will be about the antenna color, type, mounting. etc.

Bob Axsom

Last edited: