andrew phillips

Well Known Member
When I was a little boy I had a book of airplanes and I was always fascinated by the big shark's mouth on the front of the P-40's. I thought they looked cool and mean. When the time came to paint my plane I had a dilemma. I could paint the nice conservative "executive" paint scheme or the warbird theme. Why not both?
I went to our local painter, Korey, at www.kolorfast.ca and told him my idea. I wanted a Flying Tigers P-40 that had been painted over to look like a regular airplane. Since you cant keep the tiger down, he will be ripping through the paint to get out. He liked it and a deal was struck. I gave him complete artistic control and then waited. Today I got the first picture. I am thrilled. Not only did he capture what I could only imagine but he fixed all my fiberglass and "oops" issues too. Anyone in the North East US or Canada who is looking for a real artist to do their plane would be wise to consider Korey.

gndyatFBO.jpg

Last edited:
Nice paint job and like you I was awed by the exploits of the AVG, otherwise known as the Flying Tigers. In fact, I have an original 1943 edition of Robert Scott's God is My Co-pilot. Complete with the text, "THIS BOOK IS MANUFACTURED UNDER WARTIME CONDITIONS IN CONFORMITY WITH ALL GOVERNMENT REGULATIONS CONTROLLING THE USE OF PAPER AND OTHER MATERIALS".

Another good book is "The Ragged, Rugged Warriors, The heroic story of American pilots in the early air war against Japan" by Martin Caidin. The first printing was in 1967 by Ballantine and the Library of Congress Catalog Card Number is: 66-10063.

more info

Testing was put on hold during the painting, about 4 weeks now. Looking forward to getting back in the air although not about dealing with the much colder temps while breaking in the engine.

Looking at the plane I was thinking about putting some of the "kills" emblems alongside the canopy. In this politically correct era I was thinking about using dollar signs instead of Japanese flags :D Also, perhaps getting my name just below the slider. Unfortunately I have no call sign to use. Can't wait to see the plane in person.

...Looking at the plane I was thinking about putting some of the "kills" emblems alongside the canopy. In this politically correct era I was thinking about using dollar signs instead of Japanese flags :D Also, perhaps getting my name just below the slider. Unfortunately I have no call sign to use. Can't wait to see the plane in person.
Use Cessnas rather than Japanese flags. :D