Hefner

I'm New Here
I'm about 6' 3" 180lbs. Looking for someone that's located somewhat close to KLOU with an RV-4 that I could sit in! I currently fly a Cessna 150, and can fit in an S2-B no problem. I can also bend my way into the front of a J3 (being 20 years old might help that fact :eek:) Just want to make sure I wouldn't be incredibly uncomfortable in a -4 before we start looking for one.

Thanks in advance!

Size is everything...

I'm about 6' 3" 180lbs. Looking for someone that's located somewhat close to KLOU with an RV-4 that I could sit in! I currently fly a Cessna 150, and can fit in an S2-B no problem. I can also bend my way into the front of a J3 (being 20 years old might help that fact :eek:) Just want to make sure I wouldn't be incredibly uncomfortable in a -4 before we start looking for one. Thanks in advance! Pete

Hi Pete,
Ditto the welcome. I have let many friends sit in my Four and HR2 over the years, the largest of which was 6'5" and 225. Realize the sitting height in the RV4 is directly proportional to the seat cushion thickness. Sitting height varies by the individual as well. The bigger the pilot, the thinner the cushions to clear the canopy when lowered. My friend (and former Van's Engineer) KK is your size exactly and flies a nice 160HP RV4 every day. My F16 bro Tron is your height and fits fine in his RV4 that has a cool seat back modification allowing him the "F16 recline" in his RV4. Needless to say, where there's a will...:)

Several things help:
1. Thin lower cushion. Thin rear cushion. 1" NASA foam on both worked for the 6'5" dude.
2. Lighter/smaller shoes (I like NB minimalist) http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-1...ack_with_Silver&start=1&q=minimus&cgid=167000
3. Move seat aft by attaching a second hinge point aft of plans.Does change back angle to more upright.
3. Switch to a Clarity aloft or other non-overhead head set.

All that said, I have a friend in Owensboro with a nice 4 that might be able to hook up with you, I'll email him.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
Ditto the welcome. I have let many friends sit in my Four and HR2 over the years, the largest of which was 6'5" and 225. Realize the sitting height in the RV4 is directly proportional to the seat cushion thickness. Sitting height varies by the individual as well. The bigger the pilot, the thinner the cushions to clear the canopy when lowered. My friend (and former Van's Engineer) KK is your size exactly and flies a nice 160HP RV4 every day. My F16 bro Tron is your height and fits fine in his RV4 that has a cool seat back modification allowing him the "F16 recline" in his RV4. Needless to say, where there's a will...:)

Several things help:
1. Thin lower cushion. Thin rear cushion. 1" NASA foam on both worked for the 6'5" dude.
2. Lighter/smaller shoes (I like NB minimalist) http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-1...ack_with_Silver&start=1&q=minimus&cgid=167000
3. Move seat aft by attaching a second hinge point aft of plans.Does change back angle to more upright.
3. Switch to a Clarity aloft or other non-overhead head set.

All that said, I have a friend in Owensboro with a nice 4 that might be able to hook up with you, I'll email him.

V/R
Smokey

Good to hear some positive news! I usually wear sperry topsiders so shoe size is at a minimal as is. The cushion switching seems like it could work as there would be a couple different sized pilots in the plane, and I just sold my Clarity Aloft to make room for the Bose A20 :eek:
Owensboro isn't far, please let me know if he can spare some time!

Thanks

I have a -4 based near Lexington and would be happy to take care of that once I get back from an overseas trip in a couple of weeks. As Smokey says, it's all about the cushions. I'm 6'2, 220 and fit comfortably. I have a friend who is 6'5, 230 who also flies my -4 a lot.

I'll touch base when I get back in country.

Dan