RHS

I'm New Here
Hi,

I'm looking to get back into flying after 25+ years. I'm interested in the RV-4, in part because I remember seeing Dick perform in his then new RV 3 at the Evergreen Airport airshow and antique aircraft fly-ins. I learned to fly from Wally, and Steve Wolfe took me through my instrument rating and taught me basic aerobatics in his Champ - the one he used for his dead stick airshow performance. Anyone out there remember these people?

I'd like to learn as much as I can from RV-4 owners and pilots before I take the plunge. I'd also appreciate some idea of the available market for flying RV-4's because I don't see myself building one.

Looking forward to learning from you all, and to making new friends.

Robert

Highly recommended! I bought a flying RV-4 last summer and love it. I am also building one, but that project, realistically, will probably never be finished, but it keeps me off the streets at night.

There are always a number of RV-4's on the market and you can usually find anything from top of the line to barely passable. If you're not familiar with the breed make sure to get plenty of advice and try to get an experienced RV-4 builder, flyer, maintainer to help with the pre-purchase process.

The market range seems to be $40-50k range. Some are more, but probably not worth the money. Others are less, but will likely bring their own set of problems.

Just for reference, I paid $42,500 for mine that I bought it from a guy I know who I know took good care of it and it was built by a guy who built a lot of RV's.

As most people will tell you, lighter is better. I would personally prefer a 160HP O-320 with a fixed pitch prop and basic instrumentation. Others would say I am full of pee-pee ka-ka. To each his own.

In this realm knowledge is your friend and fortunately there is no shortage of that right here on this forum.

Good luck.:D

RV-4's

There are quite few example out there, and I'd bet several are close to you. If you are ever in central NC, I can show you around mine,take you up, and tell you about plenty of others. I did build mine, and took a long time, but I couldnt be happier. Its simple, and light with 160HP, fixed pitch Sterba woody, and all steam guages. I put smoke on it, as have several of us at 8A7, and we have a blast.

Robert:

Great airplanes all around. As others have said look for a basic one. If equipped with all the bells and whistles, fancy carpet everywhere, full auto-pilots, etc. they just don't fly as nice.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Richard

Hi,

I'm looking to get back into flying after 25+ years. I'm interested in the RV-4, in part because I remember seeing Dick perform in his then new RV 3 at the Evergreen Airport airshow and antique aircraft fly-ins. I learned to fly from Wally, and Steve Wolfe took me through my instrument rating and taught me basic aerobatics in his Champ - the one he used for his dead stick airshow performance. Anyone out there remember these people?...

I remember Wally Olsen's Champs well! My father flew with Wally, and we often rented one of the Champs. Wally stored them nose-down in the hangar to pack them in, with tires under the nose bowls.

I later went on to fly gliders out of North Plains starting around 1974, but somehow missed seeing Dick out there. I did see an HP-14 there once, and you can see how that turned out...

Thanks, Bob K.

Thank you all for the warn reception.

Fixnflyguy, I'd love to take you up on your offer. My wife's from NC so we visit there occasionally.

Richard, I appreciate the "keep it basic / keep it light" advise. You and I think alike.

Robert K, it's fantastic to find someone who remembers Wally. He was charging $8.00/hour sole and $11.00/hour duel (while paying the instructor $5.00/hour), when I started flying there. Can you imagine an FBO today paying the instructor more per hour than he is charging the student.

Mike, I'll drop Smokey Ray an email introducing myself. Thanks for the referral.

And "Hello" to everyone.

Robert

P.S. I'm just learning my way around the VAF website so please forgive me if I make a social FUBAR while I'm learning what all the emots mean and where to locate info here. I'm a total techno idiot. It took me more than an hour last night just registering -- I was using my wife's I-pad and my fat fingers kept making mistakes.

Robert:

Great airplanes all around. As others have said look for a basic one. If equipped with all the bells and whistles, fancy carpet everywhere, full auto-pilots, etc. they just don't fly as nice.

Richard

I agree with most of that except for the auto-pilot IF you are planning on a lot of x-country. I make some long jaunts and assure you the AP is much appreciated. You don't need it for local bug smashing flights I agree.

You can install an AP later if you choose. You've got wonderful choices now with excellent manufacturers. Is not too big a chore to do.

Consider your mission here Robert. What type of flying do you anticipate doing?? There are some really good threads here about considering your "mission". It will be fun & rewarding for you to research & consider.

I LOVE the -4 airframe & am biased toward it. It serves MY flying needs really well. Think about it serving your needs. Maybe another airframe will be better?? Now is the time to go through that mental exercise. You are on the right path now just by asking & wanting to learn.

Stay with it & I wish you good luck.

Robert:

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Richard

Richard, that was a great post in the now closed thread "Airplane vs. Mission." Would fit in good here too.

Yeah Robert, chat with these owners.

Cheers,

More with a four....

Hi,
I'm looking to get back into flying after 25+ years. I'm interested in the RV-4, in part because I remember seeing Dick perform in his then new RV 3 at the Evergreen Airport airshow and antique aircraft fly-ins. I learned to fly from Wally, and Steve Wolfe took me through my instrument rating and taught me basic aerobatics in his Champ - the one he used for his dead stick airshow performance. Anyone out there remember these people?
I'd like to learn as much as I can from RV-4 owners and pilots before I take the plunge. I'd also appreciate some idea of the available market for flying RV-4's because I don't see myself building one.
Robert

Robert,
Send me an email, I would be glad to help with your decision. Having built and flown one for 2000 hours I can hopefully pass along some wisdom and some of the gotcha's on buying one.
Of course, the RV4 isn't for everyone and I would have a few questions for you. (the same ones the insurance company will ask):

1. Recent flying experience?
2. How much you plan to fly per year (if not 100 hours, don't bother spending 40K)
3. Any complex airplane time?
4. How much Tailwheel time?

For what it's worth, you have chosen wisely...:)
V/R
Smokey
[email protected]

Last edited:
Thank you Smokey Ray. I look forward to picking your brain. For now, here are the short answers to your Q's:

1. I haven't flown since 1982.
2. Always a good question....
3 & 4. I have 1000 plus complex and 800 tail-dragger time. I hold commercial, instrument and CFI tickets. I have about 400 instructor time. I've owned three airplane. But, alas, all this was a very, very long time ago.

I'll talk to you soon.

Robert

Robert,
WOW! Yes I knew those guys.
Wally Olsen. Legend IMHO. He taught me to fly. I rented his champs every time I could scrape together a few dollars. $10 or $12 an hour wet I think. I bought a half hour at a time. (starving college student) Flew the champ for three years, then one day he leans in and says "the brakes are fixed now, just don't start trusting them". I looked him in the eye and said "these things have BRAKES?". He laughed, spun the prop for me and walked off. Great guy. The best.
Years later, while I was a starving commuter pilot, Van gave me ride in his RV-4 off that old farm strip of his. The hook was set.
Even more years later, (well fed by then) when I finally made MD-11 Captain, I celebrated by buying an RV-4.
I said all that to say this. GET ONE. Best plane ever. Get back into flying. Easiest tailwheel airplane I've ever flown BTW.
Miss the Northwest too. In fact, my wife is up in there right now looking at houses. :) (empty nest!!!!)
Good luck.

Dennis
BTW,
Smokey Ray comes highly recommended. :)

Hi,

Robert