rwagner24

Hey Guys,
Im building an RV8 QB and am stuck with a wiring issue. I'm planning on finishing the plane at home in my garage, then remove the wings and transport it to the airport for final assembly. All my wing wiring will have plugs so the wings can be detached. I'm thinking i'm going to use a Garmin G3X system and their autopilot in the plane. From what I understand Garmin uses a canned bus setup so I guess the wires run from the controller to the roll servo to the pitch servo in one run. I was really hoping to run wires in the wing for a servo and have these wires work for both Dynon or Garmin so I can decide later. Any ideas?
Ryan

Last edited:
If you mean a pre-made harness, I don't think Garmin has that. How would that work with all the different aircraft types? In fact, section 9.5 of the installation manual states that a wiring harness will have to be fabricated. So you can put connectors anywhere in your harness you desire.

Edit: re-reading your post, you really haven't decided on the system yet, either. Go with TruTrak; their autopilots will integrate with the G3X or Dynon. Then you won't have to change wiring depending on servo type. You can still put connectors in your harness as appropriate; I've done the same thing with my TT Sorcerer.

Last edited:
This is another good reason to put the roll servoe under the seat - easy integration and testign at home, with the wings off. The -8 has plenty of room under the seat for the roll servo, and TT makes the kit to install it there. IMHO, it is easier to work on that laying on my back under the wing, working overhead.

This is another good reason to put the roll servoe under the seat - easy integration and testign at home, with the wings off. The -8 has plenty of room under the seat for the roll servo, and TT makes the kit to install it there. IMHO, it is easier to work on that laying on my back under the wing, working overhead.

I agree with the Iron Flier. I had Dynon in the wing, pulled that out and put Garmin/GX Pilot in the fuselage. In my opinion the fuselage is the better setup. Far easier to tweak with all that room.

That's a great idea. Won't have to buy any auto pilot components untill I'm working on the fuselage. If I decide on Garmins I would be able to wire it without extra plugs,if there is a bracket for garmin in the fuselage. Thank you guys so much.

Ok since u guys solved my ap wiring problem can u tell me where the outside air temp sensor goes and if its in the wing what kind of wire needs run.

the -8 has a great spot for an OAT sensor - in the under-wing NACA duct. It is in the shade, not in the engine heat shadow, not in the exhaust. The only problem is that you do have to put a disconnect in at the wing root, or snake it out there after you install the wing. On our -6, it is mounted on the inspection cover back beneath the horizontal stab, and that works fine. On our -3, it is under the right wing, mirroring the pitot on the left wing, and it works great there. We used a Dsub connector on the fuselage for the disconnect. I haven't found shielding to be critical (or an issue) on any of the OAT sensors we have used.

Go with TruTrak; their autopilots will integrate with the G3X or Dynon. Then you won't have to change wiring depending on servo type. You can still put connectors in your harness as appropriate; I've done the same thing with my TT Sorcerer.

Please be careful and investigate this statement. There are some major differences in how much integration you will get between a G3X and a TT GX Pilot vs a Skyview and any of the other TT AP's.

Either way I like the idea of the servo in the fuse so if I have to use a tt control head instead of the g3x so be it. I will find out for sure before ordering anything though.

You can use pretty well any size wire that you want. The current through the wire in very small. The reason for using a heavier wire than what is actually required is the mechanical advantage. A small wire will break easier than a larger wire.

Just one wire needs to be run then?

Dynon uses a single wire for the legacy units - not sure about Skyview. GRT is a single wire and local ground if I rememebr correctly. G3X is three wires. If you're thinking G3X, download the instaltion manual and use that as a reference - they do things a little different with some sensors.