Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
We're well along in the installation of a second G3X touch screen and autopilot, but the interesting phenomenon is that the system doesn't see the pitch servo and has errors talking to the roll servo. The CAN bus is okay, voltage and ground are okay at the pitch servo, CWS is disabled on the configuration page and the wire to the pitch servo is not grounded. When the pitch servo is unplugged and replaced by the appropriate plug, everything works. Hypothesis: the pitch servo is bad.

Plan A, and it's really ugly, is to physically swap the two servos and see if the problem follows the servo.

Plan B, in case anybody needs an excuse to fly to Savannah, is to plug in a different Garmin servo (not connect it to the elevator linkage and not install it, just plug it in electrically) and see if the rest of the system works with that servo.

And of course, we're trying to get this done for a mid-week departure to Oshkosh.

Anybody want to fly to Savannah?

thanks

Ed

I know that many times it is easy to suspect the device is DOA out of the box, I have had many discussions with TeamX on how detailed the testing procedures are at Garmin before a device ships that this kind of thing is almost unheard of.

I would triple check the wiring...

• Ensure that the CANBus lines are not flipped.
  • Ensure that the termination advice is followed and that you did not accidentally leave one end unterminated and/or make sure that 3 terminations or more were not accidentally installed.
  • Ensure that any stubs off of the main trunk of the CANbus follow the requirements of the latest install manual.

Also ensure that you are communicating with TeamX as they are awesome!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Been doing all that, thanks.

Was pondering flipped CAN bus lines as a possibility

Found two terminator plugs in the CAN bus that we didn't know about. The bus worked fine with the extra plugs in, aside from the servo issue.

And TeamX is four steps beyond impressive.

Ed

There's a jumper on the pitch servo that's not on the roll servo and I bet that's our error. Well try that tomorrow.

If you hear whoops you'll know the source.

Ed

I think you have to calibrate the heading reference too before the servos will engage. Just throwing it out there.