Jconard

Well Known Member
I just re-read the data as to why Van's put the big heavy tail on the RV-7.

It sounds like normal category spin recovery can be accomplished with the small tail, and that recovery from a fully developed spin can be accomplished within a few turns.

So, since I am building a light plane, with a light prop, I am interested in reducing weight on the tail, and with reducing drag. The old, unweighted tail would have obvious weight benefits, and I think since it is smaller, there would be less drag.

It also sounds like the small tail would fit with little or no modification.

Finally, the old tail looks cool..a little like a P-51.

I want to do it..any concerns/comments? Can I even get an old kit to build the classic tail?

If you keep your eyes open, I'm sure you can find a sweetheart deal on a "classic" tail for the -6. Look on Barnstormers.com or in Trade-a-Plane.

Some other considerations are the added build time and the increased risk of making a mistake. It might also hurt the airplane's resale value...

I have one

I have one of the small tails for the 7. It has the small counter balance built and ready to go.

Let me know, I'll work you a deal.

You might be confusing the small tail with the small tail. The small tail originally tested on the -7 is the -8 tail, the same as the -6 tail after about '97. The real small tail (non-counterbalanced rudder) is only from pre-97 -6s, and has never flown on a 7.

do these tails have anything in common with a 4 tail? can the small pre punched tails be used on 4's? or a Harmon Rocket?

do these tails have anything in common with a 4 tail? can the small pre punched tails be used on 4's? or a Harmon Rocket?

I believe you can use an -8 tail on a HR now. Also I can see why you couldn't buy an -8 VS and Rudder if you really wanted to go that route on a -7. I DON'T think putting a -6 tail would do you any good however. If oyu insist, i'm sure there is an already built one out there somewhere.

plenty out there

I think there were about 800+ RV-7 kits shipped before Vans decided to switch to the larger 9 rudder. Those first kit owners were offered the larger rudder as a free upgrade. I was halfway thru building my small rudder when this happened. I finished my rudder and I still have it. When I get further along I'll have to decide on which rudder I want to use. I'm sure there are plenty of the early kit builders out there with the early smaller rudder laying around.

BTW the VS is the same on the 7,8, and 9 only the tip is differn't for the larger counter weight of the 9 and now 7 rudder. The early 7 rudder was simply a 8 rudder.