Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Doug Reeves has a great line...."A friend will help you move, but a Good friend will help you move a body!" TO that, I'd like to add that a REALLY good friend will loan you the airplane that he built with his own two hands and let you fly away with it while he watches!!

The Valkyrie is spending the week at 52F having a little cowl work done, and when I asked Doug if he could think of a way I could drop it off and get back home - then back up easily when the Val was ready for retrieval - he said "well, why don't you take Flash? I've got the keys to a couple of other RV's on the filed if I want to fly them, and I guess if we can trust you with a Shuttle, I can trust you with my -6....." Of course, I immediately told Doug that I had a grand total of about 20 minutes of RV-6 stick time, and hadn't even landed one, but this didn't seem to phase him.

My checkout this afternoon consisted of a good briefing on the switches and avionics (fortunately, we have similar autopilots), and Doug's observation that, if I wrapped the -6 up in a ball, he was going to have a really good time flying the Valkyrie....Checkout complete, he said "OK, let's see if you can get it started!", and he laughed as my left hand went instinctively to the left sidewall for the throttle (just for a moment...). No problem - my biggest concerns really had nothing to do with the flying - I was most occupied with making sure I latched the canopy correctly, and had the switches configured properly. If you look at things that cause accidents for pilots in unfamiliar airplanes, it is rarely the flying!

As I rolled out on to the runway at 52F for take-off, I keyed the mic and said "Northwest Regional Traffic, RV......ah....(there was no N-Number on the panel!!)...ah....blue RV-6, rolling for Take-off!" I had no idea what the airplane's number was until I landed at home and went back to look. Like I said...little things!

Good VFR all the way, the airplane felt great, and as I closed in on Houston (getting a ground speed of 168 knots at 7500' most of the way), I slowed to drop the flaps and do a little slow flight. I wanted to make sure I knew how it felt at low speed while I was still up high. This was the only time that Flash nipped at me - literally! I have a nice little blood blister on the underside of my right thumb when I pinched it on the flap handle pushbutton. I guess it's been awhile since I used a Johnson Bar. I do like it, by the way!

After thinking carefully through what I thought I'd expect, and giving myself a little longer final than usual to see how she responded to pitch and power changes, the landing was anticlimactic - not a squeaker, but acceptable. The trip home only took about 7 minutes longer than the trip up in the slightly faster -8, and there was more room to stretch my feet out across the floor. Nice.

It is really easy to fall into a rut flying the same airplane every single day, and there is something good about having the chance to swap out once in awhile. It forces us to think more, and think about our technique more - and that is a good thing that can carry back into our regular birds. It is easy to get stale and start making the same mistake over and over again without realizing it. I noticed that Flash took a lot more right rudder to stay straight on the take-off roll for instance - the Val seems like it is on rails when you add power. The -6 made me stay on top of the rudders more.

Thanks again Doug - Flash is safely tucked away in the hangar until later this week, and I look forward to the return trip to get a little more "time in type". It's great to have friends with airplanes - and really good friends that will let you fly them!

Paul

Last edited:
You take 'er for a walk anytime there, 'ol buddy :) . I knew she was in good hands about a nanosecond after you left the ground....you tracked a lot straighter than I usually do!

I think I'll fly Scott's -7 Tuesday a.m. early. I promised him I'd calibrate his AOA for him while he's in Europe for work. You're right about changing planes...I fly Scott's RV much more conservative.

Enjoyed the visit!

b,
d

I flew a friend's RV today also and it made me aware of the caution required when flying airplanes that many different builders made different decisions on. I have flown this airplane a few times and before I flew it this time I took some time in the cockpit to try to figure out where everything is.

One little thing did slip my mind though. On my airplane the fuel selector POINTER points to the tank in use. On this airplane the fuel selector HANDLE points to the tank in use. Also on this airplane the positions for right and left tank are not opposite each other. The off position is opposite a tank position.

At least I didn't attempt to change tanks until in cruise flight!

Good point, Larry!

The fuel selector, like your example, is different on Scott's -7 and my -6. Same as your description. A couple of years back we filed off the pointer on Scott's and dipped the handle in red paint. I'm always surprised at how different same style RVs can end up being.

b,d

Last edited:
BTW....

I realized there was one other point I wanted to add about borrowing airplanes that is on my personal rule list. When I left 52F in Doug's plane, I intentionally left my "IFR kit" (charts, etc) in the Valkyrie, so that I wouldn't be tempted. For me, IFR flight in a completely unfamiliar airplane is on the wrong side of my "risk line". It really has nothing to do with the actual flying of the airplane - it is a question of avionics. Unless you have an airline or military fleet where every machine is set up identically, it is hard to find two airplanes where all of the switches, indicators, and radios are all hooked up the same way. Trying to find out which radio is connected to the HSI while being vectored for an approach is not a good thing...expecially while hunting for the autopilot disconnect switch and looking for the radio flip-flop button....

So I generally will not fly a particular airplane IFR until I have had a chance to really understand the avionics under simulated instrument conditions, and shot a few approaches. It just adds a little bit more of a safety margin.

Besides, Flash is a delightful VFR machine...not need to put us in the clouds on a nice sunny day!

Paul

Loaner

Paul,

Next time you need a loner, take Shooter, lots of low and slow things to see between here and Houston. Corse' its gotta be VFR.