jibby212

Well Known Member
I have read the previous threads on this subject but I haven't heard anyone bring up using steal rivets to attach the threaded ends. I found them in steel and 18-8 stainless. I work in a welding shop so welding wouldn't be a problem, just don't like burning the coating off. I also live in a salt environment and try to avoid dissimilar metal contact whenever possible. I have never driven a steel rivet. Any thoughts?

Wet rivet them with a your favourite sealant (I use Sikaflex Pro, but any paintable sealant should work), then prime (I use zinc phosphate etch) and paint with a tough top coat, and no moisture will ever get in there and thus no corrosion. Sure you can use solid steel rivets, but the only ones I've ever seen have been hot set, which would really complicate things.
Setting the rivets in this isn't really a big deal, just make sure you drill your holes accurately using the tape marking method (put the tape on for one full circumference, take it off and measure out equal hole spacings, then put it back on and mark the hole locations). Before you drive the rivets, sand a little off the end of the rivets (about a half size equivalent) otherwise the supplied rivets will be too long and will bend over.
Tom.

Tom is spot on. I have done both, rivet and weld, and can't say I have a preference one way or another. Both methods are called out in the plans. I wouldn't deviate with alternate material choices like steel rivets.

Yea, I will just go with the aluminum rivets, I was planning on using some 30 minute epoxy to seal everything up, I feel good about that.