scsmith

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After 15 years and 800 flight hours, the Tyco (P&B) W31 breaker switch for my boost pump quit working. It gave me a little bit of warning, it was intermittent for a couple of flights where I could cycle the switch a couple of times to get it to work, and then last Saturday - nothing.

Some background:

I built and wired my RV-8 switch console in accordance with Vans wiring suggestions and main wire harness kit when I built the airplane in 2006--2007. I didn't know any better at the time - it turns out that these W31 breaker switches have a pretty bad reputation, as many of you know. But I have learned a few things. First of all, most people are quick to cite the AD's that are out for Cessna (AD 2005-20-25) and Beechcraft (AD 2008-13-17) airplanes that use(d) these. The AD required replacement with new switches. The FAA found that although the most common failure mode is to fail "open", they could also sometimes fail shorted so that the circuit could not be turned off, and the circuit protection of the breaker was inoperative. Occasionally they would get hot and even smoke.

Subsequent to those ADs, around approximately 2008--2009 I believe, the manufacturer modified the design of the breaker-switch so that the fail "short" mode was mitigated. So the new W31 breaker-switches you can buy today are not the same as the ones that came under the AD's. (source: 2013 FAA SAIB)

Some time later in 2013, the FAA released an SAIB (Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin) that provides more recent information on these breaker switches. They found that about 2% of the switches fail after 2000 cycles, and about 50% fail after 6500 cycles. So the FAA recommendation is to replace these breaker switches after 2000 hrs. I can live with that. I would not use these on a new build, but I'm not going to rip out the whole airplane wiring and start over to eliminate these W31s.

So - to the issue at hand - replacing the breaker switch in the RV-8 switch console. In my case, this is potentially pretty difficult because I didn't leave any slack in the harness to pull out the whole switch console to allow access to change a switch. Again, I didn't know any better at the time. So, today I came up with what turned out to be a pretty straightforward way to get at all the switches. Step one is to remove all the jam nuts and lock washers that hold the switches to the panel. this allows the whole switch assembly (they are all ganged together on the 'line' side with a copper bus strip) to float in space. Step two remove the 10 screws and remove the switch console panel, leaving the row of switches all exposed. Then it was pretty easy to replace the switch (I also replaced the avionics master and the alternator field switch - so all of the switches that are cycled at every flight have been replaced). Re-assembly was straightforward as well. Just poke all the switches up through the holes in the console, re-install the lock washers and jam nuts, and re-install the 10 screws that hold the console in place.

I was pretty relieved that this was not the job from Dante's seventh circle, and I can live with this set-up for another many years hopefully before any more of the switches fail.

...after you replace a few of them you'll wish you could evolve certain body modifications -- a second elbow about mid-radius&ulna, suction cups on finger tips and/or hemostatic (magnetic) grips on at least two fingers :)

Optionally magnetic stainless steel and transparent aluminum are also on my "to-do" list :)

Interesting write up!
I have been using the W31 breaker switches in my RV7. I just replaced my boost pump switch this week due to the original becoming intermittent. I have 780hrs on the plane.
I have also replaced 2 other W31 switches over the last few years. In both cases, the toggle broke off at the base.

Wiley E
RV7 flying
Building F4 Raider

I was planning on using W31 style switches on my panel upgrade. There is alot of information here I did not know. I was thinking these switches were acceptable and would reduce the number of circuit breaker holes I’d have to punch in the panel.

2000 cycles to replacement? I’ll pass

I had a Tyco 5 Amp W31 as my alternator field switch/breaker. It became intermittent and finally failed at 875 Hobbs Hours. I replaced it with another new Tyco 5 Amp W31-X2M1G-5 switch/breaker. That one started giving me problems at 901 Hobbs Hours. Finally got wise and spent the money (not cheap, and that was in late 2020) on a Klixon 5 Amp switch/breaker (P/N 7270-1-5). No problems since, and currently at 1518 Hobbs Hours.

Last edited:
I had a Tyco 5 Amp W31 as my alternator field switch/breaker. It became intermittent and finally failed at 875 Hobbs Hours. I replaced it with another new Tyco 5 Amp W31-X2M1G-5 switch/breaker. That one started giving me problems at 901 Hobbs Hours. Finally got wise and spent the money (not cheap, and that was in late 2020) on a Klixon 5 Amp switch/breaker (P/N 7270-1-5). No problems since, and currently at 1518 Hobbs Hours.
Mooney used Klixon (rocker) switch breakers. Their life had pretty limited cycles. They were very expensive (over $200/) a long time ago; but, there was noooo panel space available. The fuel pump SB tended to only have 2-300 cycles worth of life.

Do what you gotta but leave yourself some access margin. Definitely gonna need it.

Mooney used Klixon (rocker) switch breakers. Their life had pretty limited cycles. They were very expensive (over $200/) a long time ago; but, there was noooo panel space available. The fuel pump SB tended to only have 2-300 cycles worth of life.

Do what you gotta but leave yourself some access margin. Definitely gonna need it.
I thought Mooney’s used ETAs…

I thought Mooney’s used ETAs…
That’s where they ended up. You think I could have afforded a newer Mooney? I paid $12K for a 1969 ramp queen in 1990.

If you obey the type certificate, you can only replace the parts in kind without additional paperwork. People had stashes of the old ones and they charged out the a$$ for them.

I still the old parts manual and will verify the original. Been a while.

Last edited:
I looked at the Klixon breaker-switches. Roughly $250 each. To mimic my installation arrangement, I would have to change seven of them - about $1700. The form factor is slightly different (bigger) and while I do have space for them on my console panel, they all have to be the same so the copper bus bar on the feed (line) side can connect to all of them. So as much as I don't want to do it, it would be worth it to make a new console panel with separate breakers and toggle switches, more like $350 total. But I would have to do wire splices onto my existing wires to gain some length, or else replace the main harness. I think I trust the solder splices enough to do it that way.

Also weighing on the decision is Scott's comment above that apparently the Klixon breaker-switches also don't have much lifetime. Sounds like yours is coming up on 800 hrs, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up. Funny how 800 hrs seems to be a magic number..

Wiley's comment above about the toggles breaking off is surprising - I heard someone else say something about that before, so I gave the bad switch that I removed some real abuse and could not break it.

...after you replace a few of them you'll wish you could evolve certain body modifications -- a second elbow about mid-radius&ulna, suction cups on finger tips and/or hemostatic (magnetic) grips on at least two fingers :)

Optionally magnetic stainless steel and transparent aluminum are also on my "to-do" list :)
yes, transparent aluminum would definitely be on my wish list.

Follow up - digging around to try to find reliability/failure issues with the Klixon 7270 toggle switch/breakers.

It seems that the issues with old Mooneys were old (early-mid 1960's) rocker switches, not toggle switches. I have not been able to find any modern Klixon issues. So, if you really want to have the tidiness of combined switch/breakers, it may be worth the cost. Gulp.

The alternative for the RV-8 using the common switch console side panel would be to extend the panel down low enough to make room for separate breakers along the bottom, and simple toggle switches along the top.