RVNineA

Greetings fellow RV'ers!

I am building the wings of my 9A, and am at the point of drilling the W-926A/B J-stringers into place. The instructions say to "Slip the W-926B into place so that it just butts up to the edge of the W-903 skin." The W-903 is the outboard, upper skin, and the W-902 is the inboard, upper skin.

Do you think they mean butt up against the outboard edge of W-903? If that is the case, then the J-stringer sticks out about 1/2 inch beyond the outboard rib, and stops short, by the same 1/2 inch from butting against the edge of the W-902 skin.

When cut to it's specified length, the W-926B J-stringer seems to more naturally want to be pushed in that extra 1/2 inch so that it just butts up to the edge of the W-902 skin (i.e., the inboard skin)

What have others done here, pushed it in until it hits the W-902 inboard skin? or followed the instructions as written?

Thanks!

Don't let the stringer extend past the outboard rib, otherwise you'll have to trim your wing tip to fit around that stringer. Van's said it could be done either way though. The inboard stiffener needs to go to the skin edge to pick up the inboard most skin hole. The two separate stiffeners shoulld overlap 3 or 4 rivets worth. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks! I see your point about the wingtip, I'll position the stringer against the inboard skin's outer edge, making it flush with the outboard rib.

New set of holes in the W-926B J-stringer?

Shame I didn't see this post before match-drilling my J-stringers for both wings. I positioned the inboard and outboard stringers flush with the edge of the respective skins, so the holes in the outboard stringer are in the wrong place and the overlap is not as long as designed.

However, I have not riveted the stringers in place yet (just match-drilled and dimpled) so it seems I have two options:

A) carry on with the present set of holes and trim the wing tips around the outboard ends of the stringers or
B) reposition the outboard stringers and back-drill new holes using the skins as a guide. I would have plenty of edge distance on the original holes to do this.

Which option should I go for?