Hi all,

I've come to the point of working on these fairings and I've clecoed them in place. The skins on the wings have to be flexed a bit to be able to come in contact with the fairing. There is a 10 inch or so area of wing skin, nearest the flap, that is beyond the fairing and the skin isn't pulled down. This skin that hangs just past the rear spar is stiff and resists being pulled into place.

Should I flex the skin aft of the rear spar slightly so that it skin rests naturally onto the fairing and maintains an even line beyond the point it contacts the fairing? I'm only looking at about an 1/8" gap and the skin flex may be caused by the row of rivets that connect the skin to the rear spar. I may be making a big deal over nothing, but I want to be sure I'm not doing anything stupid. I would need to lean on about 4 feet of skin to make the slight correction.

What do you think?

You may have to trim

You may have to trim the part of the gap seal piece that will touch the back of the top spar, that will change the geometry so the top skin and the gap seal fairing will be touching and parallel.

I just fit these on my 6 and that is what I had to do. I am assuming yours is a similar design.

BUT, don't cut until you know this is the answer you need.

The picture may help you see where I am talking about, where the silver meets the gray.

ailgapseal2.jpg

If you want to see all my pictures with the descriptions, go to

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/toms/plane_proj.asp

Have fun, you'll get it. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Tom,

The pre punched part that I have to line up looks a bit different than the one you have photographed. After some thought though I think that this is just another case where, in order to get things lined up, there will be a little finesse involved. Everything I've been working with, since the elevator counterbalance skins, has lined up with little effort involved. And, I think that the row of rivets across the rear spar has caused the skin to slightly deflect away from it's intended path. I will soon apply a little pressure to the skin to get it to rest against W-724 with the holes lined up. I know I'm making a big deal over nothing.

Thanks again,

Rear spar flange angle

APilot4Fun said:
Thanks Tom,

The pre punched part that I have to line up looks a bit different than the one you have photographed. After some thought though I think that this is just another case where, in order to get things lined up, there will be a little finesse involved. Everything I've been working with, since the elevator counterbalance skins, has lined up with little effort involved. And, I think that the row of rivets across the rear spar has caused the skin to slightly deflect away from it's intended path. I will soon apply a little pressure to the skin to get it to rest against W-724 with the holes lined up. I know I'm making a big deal over nothing.

Thanks again,

Craig... you are correct in that the RV-6 has a much different part here....

The early kits sometimes had a slight error in the angle of the rear spar flange on the top surface... this could make things not quite fit right. Pulling the skin overhang down may cause a "valley" in the skin contour.

Check this angle if you can.... I believe there is a fix - and a big Vans tool - for fixing this, but don't have any details.

Does anyone have details?

I'm interested since have this angle error, and just bought the new W-724 parts to upgrade my -6 wings... that fairing piece is the only part of my wing not yet riveted.... :)

The -7 ailerons are longer so some trimming is needed on the W-724, but no big deal... :D

gil in Tucson