704CH

Well Known Member
Hey guys, I thought I would run this past you and see if I should go to Vans for a new skin or not. Thoughts?

Basically, where the lower wing skin meets the tank, just on the outside edge of the middle inspection hole the wingskin is cut about 1/16" to short. The rest of the wing skin is cut correctly, but in this 1 inch length, there will be a 1/16 inch gap between the tank and the skin. (only on the left wing)

Should I go to Vans with this? Most likely it will never be noticed since it is on the bottom skin, and once the skins are deburred I can probably reduce the 1/16th inch gap by not deburing where it is mis-cut.

But.... Any mistakes on my plane I want to be mine, not the manufactures. ;-)

Let me know your thoughts.. - thx

http://picasaweb.google.com/RV704CH/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCLrtjaOhwfCMeQ#

Last edited:
That definitely looks like the skin wasn't properly aligned when it was punched. It's still early on the left coast. I would call Van's. I'm sure they will make it right.

If I'm reading this right this is the gap between the outer skin and the outer edge of the fuel tank?

It's certainly not structural and a 1/16th gap is needed anway as the paint will be thicker than you think. I'd open up the whole gap to match...definately would not replace the skin...your looking at it way too close my friend...5 years from now you'll have to go search for to even notice..:)

Build on

Frank