Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Finally installing my wings tonight . . .

How do you tell which splice plates are the top ones? All I see on the splice plates is a four digit serial number and the word "forward" or "aft". I did notice that one of the two splice plates has been beveled (for about a two inch section) at the factory a little more and I'm not sure if this holds any significance.

I did test fit them several years ago but I failed to mark them as top and bottom. I realize I can fit them again but I had to ream the holes in the spar for the close tolerance bolts and want to ream the splice plates as little as possible.

Thanks,

Rick

The lower plate has a radius ground into it so that it fits well into the corner formed by the bullhead and bottom skin. Also, I don't think any reaming of the holes is needed.

Another question

I should have asked this earlier as well . . .

The engraved portion (with the words "FWD" or "AFT") faces towards the rear of the aircraft, correct? The plans say that for the spar pieces, and I assume this holds true for the splice plates as well.

As Forrest Gump once said, " . . . .I'm not a smaht man!"

"Stupid is as stupid does . . . "

Thanks,

Rick

I don't think so

On my 6A, the spar plates fit with the engraving facing out (to the aft for "aft" and forward for "fwd". The top and bottom plates had the holes drilled such that there was no way they would be interchangeable.
I assumed that the engraving was probably done when the plates were still in the jig, or whatever was used (if anything) when the spar and plates were drilled together, so the engraved marks would have to face out.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Whatever you do, DON'T ream anything. They are already reamed at the factory. They should all go in only one way. I would call Van's if you have any doubt.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, fellas . . .

I mentioned reaming the holes - all I did there was remove the paint and primer that was in the holes. Otherwise, no reaming was required.

The plates are all in place, and I appreciate everyone's help!

Rick 95% done and 50% to go.