redmark

I?ve fluted all my W-1208 nose ribs and thought they all looked good but now that I have them riveted to the main spar (section 15-07) I can see that they all have a slight twist. Keeping the bottom of the rib straight the top wants twist at or about the J channel. Is this to be expected or do I need to do more fluting?

Thanks,
-Ron

Hi Ron,
I had similar experience. Fluting only straightens the edges, i.e. more fluting won't help if the webs of the ribs are twisted. Because the rib material is thin, I untwisted them to the extent that I could, being careful not to cause a crease or distortion in the other direction. Mostly, I chose to "live with it" and manuever the holes into line using a pick and clecoes when putting the skins on. Hope this is helpful. I'm sure others will have additional ideas, too.
Regards,
Dave - Huntsville, AL.

Same problem. I fluted the ribs so you could press them flat on the table. If you released them they twisted near the j-channel. This gave no problems during wing skin install. Everything lines up perfect! Joy to build.

Ribs

You flute the ribs to get the warp or bow out of them. They will line up when you start putting the skins on, no problem.

It will work out

Had exactly the same thing. I' just finished putting on the bottom skins today and will do the top tomorrow. Start clecos at the spar and work forward. It's easy to reach most of the ribs while the top skins are off-- I anticipate a llttle more work in aligning the upper skins and ribs but I'm sure an awle will work.

Wayne
120241--- N143WM