Mohammed

Patron
Hi there..

I don't know if anyone had face the same issue before. I searched the internet and VAF but could not find anyone with similar problem.

when I celco'ed the vertical stab skeleton and skin I found out that the main rib VS704 will not sit flush with the aft spar and will stick up and down the sides.

BNeh8yICAAEjJuE.jpg

BNeiW-eCAAAPfry.jpg

I uncleco'ed and recleco'ed the parts, double checked the drawings and orientation and finally strighting the rib flanges to the inside a bit yet could not fix it or figure it out.:confused:

Could that be a manufacturing defect of the rib or am I missing something here?

Wrong part?

Possibly Van's put the wrong rib in your kit. I'd measure the width at the flange and give them a call. If anyone else on the forum hasn't closed the skin, might measure the rib and post your result.

Something doesn't look quite right in the picture. The side rib flanges are joggled as if to fit the aft side of the forward spar. Are you sure it is oriented correctly.
Could you possibly have the rib in backwards?

Last edited:
For reference, here's a photo of my VS rib:

IMG_3729.jpg

The leading end of the rib is made to fit in the forward spar, but there are relief cuts between the tabs that connect to the spar and the rest of the rib flange. This leads me to believe that maybe he has the wrong rib; even if it was backward it wouldn't match mine. I don't think you could cleco it in backwards anyway; I'm pretty sure the forward spar is narrower than the main spar, and the holes wouldn't even line up.

Unless, that is, the ribs have changed at some point. My empennage kit was ordered in mid-2012.

+1 on the wrong part .. Just looked at my -704 assembled on the VS. The reliefs in the flange at the spar end to make room for another part should not be there. Same as in N546RV's photo.

The gap between the skin and spar is way too big in your first photo. Clearly, some part is wrong!

Here are some photos live from my factory floor of the -704 mating with the skins and the main VS spar; things fit well in my build, fortunately!

2hgb4lt.jpg

and

14nnskw.jpg

(note .. a few rivets are not installed, per plan, for the fairings that will come along way later...)

Last edited:
Possibly Van's put the wrong rib in your kit. I'd measure the width at the flange and give them a call. If anyone else on the forum hasn't closed the skin, might measure the rib and post your result.

Good suggestion. It measured 4 inches. I am planning to give them a call

BNwwNZcCAAAVQyW.jpg

Something doesn't look quite right in the picture. The side rib flanges are joggled as if to fit the aft side of the forward spar. Are you sure it is oriented correctly.
Could you possibly have the rib in backwards?

Hi Mel, I checked that many times. It is oriented correctly

BNww3HxCMAApMmv.jpg

+1 on the wrong part .. Just looked at my -704 assembled on the VS. The reliefs in the flange at the spar end to make room for another part should not be there. Same as in N546RV's photo.

The gap between the skin and spar is way too big in your first photo. Clearly, some part is wrong!

Here are some photos live from my factory floor of the -704 mating with the skins and the main VS spar; things fit well in my build, fortunately!

2hgb4lt.jpg

and

14nnskw.jpg

(note .. a few rivets are not installed, per plan, for the fairings that will come along way later...)

For reference, here's a photo of my VS rib:

IMG_3729.jpg

The leading end of the rib is made to fit in the forward spar, but there are relief cuts between the tabs that connect to the spar and the rest of the rib flange. This leads me to believe that maybe he has the wrong rib; even if it was backward it wouldn't match mine. I don't think you could cleco it in backwards anyway; I'm pretty sure the forward spar is narrower than the main spar, and the holes wouldn't even line up.

Unless, that is, the ribs have changed at some point. My empennage kit was ordered in mid-2012.
Thank you guys for sharing your photos and thoughts. It has all the till tale of wrong part. I'll contact Van and see what do they think

BNw3dZTCAAEBGOg.jpg

Yes! I was right! It was the right part but with a manufacturing error. Here is Van's support response:
“It looks like the flat part was placed onto the form block backwards when bending the
flanges”. They are going to replace it of course