RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Hi, all... in short, my RV-10 VS tip is "fatter" than the VS itself; in other words, from the leading edge backwards, the fiberglass tip gets wider faster than the aluminum piece. Here's a pic:
http://kochman.net/N819K/img/07d/DSC_0483.JPG

Ken at Van's suggested making a couple slits in the leading edge and reglassing, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. Anyone seen this before? The rudder and HS tips fit very well.

Thanks...

-Rob

Rob,

I had the same thing, wonderful quality on some of the parts huh? I cut bits and pieces off it to fit, a little heat helps to try and form the glass a bit. Bottom line is I finally got it to fit pretty good then glassed over the seam as on all the parts like this and used micro and epoxy to smooth out the entire thing. Wait till you get to stuff like DOORS and the cabin top. This the frst of many fiberglass encounters. :D

Heat it with a hair dryer and you can reshape it a little. From the photo it looks like you might get away without any glass work.

Some of my tips were up to 1/4" off. Just cut, sand, reglass, etc untill it fits properly. Thats what it takes to look good.

Just fill it with Bondo-glass and sand it to the shape of the VS. It probably took you longer to post the picture then it will take to fill it.