atalla

Well Known Member
Second owner of my Emp kit and the VS rear spar was assembled but no lightening holes were drilled. I know its an option but is this going to be an issue for weight and balance for a 7'?

its not much but its way back there. Is this an issue if a FP prop is used? should i be trying to save all tail weight i can?

No, it's not going to be an issue. Go very light with primer when you're building the tailcone and with the external paint when you get to that point, that'll have more of an effect than those holes. It's certainly not worth de-riveting the skin, ribs and spar just to put those holes in.

Whatever you do, do not make the mistake I did and drill the lightening holes through the VS-803PP 032 spar. The holes only go through the heavy doubler VS-808PP. I did not discover it until a year or two after building that part. Vans said it had to be replaced which meant drilling out the skin, hinges, cap, etc.

Whatever you do, do not make the mistake I did and drill the lightening holes through the VS-803PP 032 spar. The holes only go through the heavy doubler VS-808PP. I did not discover it until a year or two after building that part. Vans said it had to be replaced which meant drilling out the skin, hinges, cap, etc.

ouch.:eek: glad that was caught.