CPSONE

Well Known Member
I bought a rather untouched used -7 emp kit. The previous builder had gone ahead and cut the lightening holes in the VS rear spar doubler. I thought I'd be smart and order up a replacement from Van's so I could install one without the lightening holes for greater strength, minimal as it may be.
I just received my order from Van's and to my surprise the lightening holes are already factory cut in the VS rear spar doubler. No a big deal really but it put a kink in my plan. So much for the "optional" part as it says on the plans...
:eek:

The -7 and -9 share the same VS, and back when I was building my VS, I called Van's and asked them if I should cut those holes or not. The answer I received was that those holes don't impact the strength significantly and to "Build lightness in". After hearing that, I took every lightening step recommended in the plans.

Weight savings

Another bonus of lightning the rear of the plane is it will also help c of g. Only slightly but might allow another pound or two baggage if you have a lighter engine prop combination.

Peter