skidmk

Well Known Member
Hi all.... getting ready to rivet the skin on the VS... clecoed all together,, and bucked the first rivet (intersion of the the two ribs), made a mistake and bucked a 3.5 instead of a 4, and of course its too short. If I drill it out what size will I use for an oops rivet?

thanks

Mike :(

rivets

I second the motion to leave it alone!

However, at some point you will have to drill out a rivet or two. Not that I've ever done it of course :rolleyes: , but I've been told that when you do, use a smaller drill (i.e. 1/16" for the 3/32 rivets) and drill down past the head, but not all the way through. Then use a nail set to break off the head, and gently punch out the rivet.

Hey Mikey

Like the other guys said, leave it alone.

Don't forget that an inspector needs to see inside so don't rivet both sides of the VS. You can do all of one side, and up the spar and middle rib on the other, but Tim (or Pierre, depends who you get for an inspector) needs to lift up a corner of the skin and see all of the shop heads.

Same deal on the HS and any control surfaces.

I only mention this because a friend here at work just started an -8 and was putting the HS together and forgot to leave off the two forward, inboard ribs of the HS skeleton. You need to have those out so you can see the rivets on the inboard ribs. You can put the inboard ribs on later.

Cheers

Thanks so much

:) Man this resource is awesome.... so.. The VS is finished... I did not drill it out.. nor did I drill out the 2 other bad rivets (too squashed) one at the tip and one at the root.

moving on to the rudder.... thanks again

MIke

Mike,

Sounds like you're set, but a part of what you originally asked wasn't answered. If you drill out the rivet, you don't need to use an OOPS rivet unless you booger up the hole. Let's say you drilled that -3.5 out...you'd pop a -4 in and rivet it, done deal. That is, assuming the hole is clean.

If you have any question about how to drill rivets out without enlarging/elongating the hole, just holler.

I like to use the "Operation" game analogy. Ideally you can extract a bum rivet without any tools touching the hole.