bfilarsky

I just finished (well, almost) the vertical stab on my -8. Problem is, the instructions say to blind rivet the last three holes, but doesn't specify which pop rivet to use (they sent 6 different types with the empennage) Which do I use? The circled in red are in the holes in question.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if they updated the page and ommitted it accidentally, or if I'm just blind in one eye and can't see out the other. I was on page 6 the whole time, and looked just where you describe on the drawing that shows all the other rivet types, but no luck. Oh well, thanks!

From the "Rivet Legend," it's at about your 11 o'clock and 6 inches, adjacent to where these rivets are on the rear view of the spar.

I'm looking at my preview plans, so your plans may be different.

What is the date of your drawings? The early oned did miss some of the rivet callouts.

not sure, I'll take a look today. However, I did just get the kit from Vans on Wednesday, so I would think they're the latest drawings.

From the "Rivet Legend," it's at about your 11 o'clock and 6 inches, adjacent to where these rivets are on the rear view of the spar.

I'm looking at my preview plans, so your plans may be different.

I'll take a look again for kicks, I'm going to be mad if I find it!!!

Rivet Callouts

I also received my RV8 empennage kit on Wed. this week and noted that the full scale blueprint versions are older than the reduced size versions in my ring binder for some components.

Not a big deal, but you'll need to crosscheck. I've found that the part numbers and rivet callouts are more accurate in my binder, but I use the full-scale print on my workbench since it's easier to read.

The text on the left side of the VS Rear View drawing (DWG 6 about two-thirds up on the left edge) in my binder states: "LP4-3 All VS-806PP to VS-803PP to VS-707 Blind Rivets."

The equivalent full size blueprint (DWG 6PP) has no notes and shows some RV4 part numbers...a few pencil changes and it all makes sense...building on!

Mike

Emp kits on -8 have wrong DWG

I ran into the drawing error on my Emp kit this week. I started with the VS and was working with DWG 6PP, the preview plans showed a DWG 6 but no PP and it was a more recent date. The rivet call outs are on that page. I called Van's and they said I should have DWG 6 not DWG 6PP, they were not sure why the error. It would seem from reading here that many of the emp kits were sent out with the out of date drawings. Van's is sending me the proper DWG not that it is needed to finish the VS, it just means I will have a current DWG to reference in the future. I hope this helps others before that get to the same point we were and start to scratch their heads.

Cheers

Receiving drawings or documents

I work as a consulting engineer, and traffic in a lot of engineering drawings.
100% inspection is the only way to guarantee you have all of the
correct drawings, as tedious as it seems. Here are the methods I use:

When you get any plans from anybody:
Did I get all the drawings listed on the drawing list?
Do the titles match the drawing list?
Do the revisions match between all drawings and the drawing list?
If I received multiple sets (even the same size) did I check ALL drawings in ALL sets?

I'm not going to hesitate to ask for an updated drawing to complete a package correctly, if I know about a problem.

I also prominently mark any obsolete drawings with a single red slash across the center (not obscuring detail, but not possible to miss).
If I'm ready to destroy a drawing, it gets the slash and folded at least in half so that the printed side and slash is visible.

With all that said, it is pretty easy to imagine that there are a range of kit numbers that need (for example) Rev D, and later kits that need Rev E.
- like the fuse kits before and after pre-punched fuse kits were introduced.

I recieved my emp kit on Monday and also have the dwg 6pp dated 3/13/96. I ordered the preview plans last Feb and it shows the dwg 6 dated 4/9/01.

I wonder how many -8 emp. were sent out this week?

ok, cool. Well, I got so busy today with the rudder that I forgot to check the other drawing before I went home. I went ahead and put those rivets in, and all is well with the VS!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!" --Peter Sage

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death." --James F. Byrnes

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it."--Dr. Leonard McCoy