SvingenB

Well Known Member
While waiting for new skins for the HS :)mad: :eek: ##@&%% :eek: ) I continue on to the VS :) When reading the manual I see that lighting must be planned. I haven't really given it much thought other than I think LED is cooler than bulbs. I know I need some wires, but does it exist some wire guides or tubes, or something, like the ones used in houses? Are there any other things that must be planned up front?

Unless you are planning some kind of anti collision lighting or a camera in the vertical stabilizer, you don't need any wiring there. Your tail light will be in the rudder. The wiring will run through the bottom rudder fairing.

Bj?rnar, I put just a strobe on top of the VS.
http://gikonemp.blogspot.com/2008/01/now-it-is-complete-and-painted.html#links
For that I dipped the cable in proseal and laid it on the inside of the leading edge of the VS. Alternatively you could put some plastic thimbles into the ribs or a bit of VANS corrugated duct. Thimbles and an Adel clamp top and bottom are probably enough if you dont have duct to hand.

The duct that VANS sell you can just see in the bottom RH corner of the third picture here. http://gikonelectrics.blogspot.com/2007/12/i-have-started-on-wiring-as-change-from.html#links

Hope that helps.

Strobes and orientation

Note that if you put a wing tip strobe in the top of the VS, you won't get a very good light distribution pattern.

The wing tip strobe glass covers are actually lenses (check the varying thicknesses) are are designed to increase the light output in the horizontal plane - when mounted on the wing tip.

Mounting it at 90 degrees to the original design specification negates a lot of the design work Whelen engineers put in....:) ...and puts more light upwards, where you don't realy need it, at the expense of light sideways, which is where you really want it....:)

gil A

A strobe on top of the VS will also give a lot of reflection off the top of the wings at night.

Gil - just for the record the picture is of a Kuntzelman lens. I dont believe it modifies the light pattern like the Whelan.

Mel - my strobe will never give a lot of reflection off the top of the wings at night since homebuilts are not allowed to fly at night in the UK.

UK requirements?

Gil - just for the record the picture is of a Kuntzelman lens. I dont believe it modifies the light pattern like the Whelan.

Mel - my strobe will never give a lot of reflection off the top of the wings at night since homebuilts are not allowed to fly at night in the UK.

Steve... does the UK have any specifications you have to meet for the daytime strobes? ....or are they essentially optional?

Whelen adds the lens effect to meet the US requirements, which call for more light output in the horizontal plane. If you look at the rear rudder mounts, they are also lenses, and come in vertical and horizontal versions.

gil A

They are optional. (Though having said that there may be a reg that states how they should be if you have them.) The Kuntzelman is quite frequently used here on homebuilts.

The main visibility feature is painting it in a dark colour, not stealth white.

My strip is 5 miles from a Tornado base and we have a lot of other military traffic also. Apache, Eurofighter etc.. My goal is just to make it easier for them to see me. The controlers are very helpful and I jus want to do my bit to help the other traffic. Having said that, no strobes on my Supercub.

OK, thanks. I will need strobe and nav lights. Are there any aircraft grade wireing, or will any kind do?

Tefzel wire

Bjorn - you should use Tefzel wire. And yes, it is more expensive, you will probably have to get it from the USA, and it will get lost on the way. (Still, they have a rotten economy and need the help!) Have a poke around the electrics area here or look at BandC or the VANS catalogue.

Good luck, Steve.

Bjorn - you should use Tefzel wire. And yes, it is more expensive, you will probably have to get it from the USA,

I can point another source way closer than States: Arigo Teknik in Sweden. http://www.arigoteknik.se/ They have at least white wire but better to ask what they have on the shelf. Tefzel may not be mentioned in the web page but I've seen to rolls of wire at their shop.