aarvig

Well Known Member
I have ordered two fiberglass tips for my vertical stabilizer on my RV-9A. Not only were both of them cracked on the leading edge but they are both warped significantly. When installed on the plane they favor the left side by 3/8 of an inch. It looks like slop to say the least. No matter what I do I can't get that warp/twist out before closing the TE of that piece. What should I do. I am tired sick of this fiberglass work and this is the last piece. My wings are calling out my name yet I am STILL trying to get the stuff done :mad:!!! HEEELLLPP please! As a side note...I am not at all impressed with the quality of Vans fiberglass. Nuff said now, I love their planes!

Seems this is pretty normal. On advise from the forum, I ended up slitting the rudder fairing with a hacksaw blade for about the rear third along the centre line and reglassing it on the inside. I still had to build up one side and sand down the other side to get any kind of symmetry. I was pretty bummed out at the result at first. I chose to hide the rivets by blending the f/g right over the top. Now after paint I'm pretty pleased with the appearance. The only major flaw is that I couldn't get the rear of the rudder fairing thin enough to match the rear part of the rudder.
The bottom rudder fairing was a struggle too. Had to take a hacksaw blade to that as well, but again the end result was satisfying.
It's all very time consuming but you do get quicker.

Make one?

Say Aaron, have you considered gluing a piece of foam on the rudder and laying up your own after shaping it to your satisfaction?

I don't believe that there'd be much total time difference and you'd be happy with the result.

Best,

The polyester glass (white gelcoat) parts are indeed abysmal. If you hate the tail tips just wait until you get to the wing tips.

Anyway, think of them as cores to be built upon rather than anything like a finished part. Lots of builders have gone before and worked out beautiful tips using the same garbage for a base. If you're developing a hate for them, go build something else and come back later with a fresh mind.