mikeangiulo

I'm attaching the three bolts at the bottom of the VS where it attaches to the fuselage.

I've already confirmed with Vans that the plans have an error (where it says 7/8" to locate the upper two bolts it should say 1 23/32")

When I drilled those #30 they looked great. I have the same edge clearance on the hinge bracket as I have on the inside steel bulkhead. The problem is that the edge clearance is 3/8" which is perfect for an AN3 bolt. The plans call for an AN4 bolt though. If I were to do that I wouldn't have a half inch from center to edge on either part.

Does this make sense? I assume I need 2D distance from the center to the edge for bolts even when they are going through steel - isn't that right?

Look at prior thread

Search this thread, RV-8 vert stab attach bolt size? , It should help.

Ted

Does this make sense? I assume I need 2D distance from the center to the edge for bolts even when they are going through steel - isn't that right?
All rules of thumb go out the window when going through steel. It just depends on what the designer engineered. In every case where I've questioned Van's about edge distance going through steel (2-3 times), they've remarked that the less than 2D alloted edge distance is more than sufficient because it is steel. Again, it just depends on the designer's goal.

thanks for the link. I had actually tried searching on this first and just didn't find it. I do find it especially annoying that the plans have a known error (with no addendum) and there is a note that says "Check Edge Distance!" when they don't even specify what edge distance they want checked.