Webhead

My VS 808 spar doubler came with a big radius in it. I was wondering if I should try and bend it to lay flat. That way there would be no pre-load when attached to the VS 803 rear spar. Anyone else have this issue?

Rgds,
Mark
RV-8A
empennage

bend in the doubler

Mine came the same way. I think it is a side effect of the cutting and hole punching. I gently bent it back to straight before match-drilling and riveting.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage
San Ramon, CA

I just drilled my 808 yesterday and it was the same as yours.I did flex it in the other direction and it looks good.

Larry O'Brien
Northridge, CA

This is normal - result from the punching and shearing process. Just tweak it straight to avoid pre-load and continue on.

Don't worry about it. The total amount of force to hold it straight is spread over all the rivets. The amount of pull force on each rivet will be very small. If you do try to straighten it, be careful not to put too much of the correction in any one place. If you end up with a bit of a kink in it, now the loads will be much higher on a small number of rivets, which would be much worse than if you had just left it alone.

I just cleco'd and drilled. I think its symmetrical so best to place the convex side toward the spar to keep from scratching up the spar web. Just start at one end and "unroll" it to the other.

briand said:
I just cleco'd and drilled. I think its symmetrical so best to place the convex side toward the spar to keep from scratching up the spar web. Just start at one end and "unroll" it to the other.

I did the same. It appears the doubler is used to increase strength of the web and as such the rivets will be applying shear strength. So a marginally preloaded tensile force does not seem to be a major concern here. If remember correctly, less than 5 pounds will straighten it out across the entire span.