bird

Well Known Member
I am putting vertical power in my rv8. Researching right now. I was planning on installing a dyno flight dek 180 for my efis and ems, seems to be the most economical for me,. Problem is dynon only supports vertical power in their skyview system, a little out of my budget. Now I am wondering if there is another way to monitor my vertical power. Mgl supports it with all of their efis, but the cost is higher than the dynon flight dek and the mgl extreme is a little to small for my older eyes. Any ideas?

bird

Did you consider a non-EFIS alternative? A Windows-based Tablet (10" or smaller) or NetBook (some are "convertible" style) that has an Ethernet (LAN) cable should be able to display status running the Vertical Power configuration software for between $500 and $1000.

I am putting vertical power in my rv8. Researching right now. I was planning on installing a dyno flight dek 180 for my efis and ems, seems to be the most economical for me,. Problem is dynon only supports vertical power in their skyview system, a little out of my budget. Now I am wondering if there is another way to monitor my vertical power. Mgl supports it with all of their efis, but the cost is higher than the dynon flight dek and the mgl extreme is a little to small for my older eyes. Any ideas?

bird

You are limited to the EFIS model that the EFIS vendor has added the software to support the VP-X. I'm sure Marc would enjoy having all the various EFIS models supporting the VP-X, but that is up to each EFIS vendor.

My only advice is that you don't need avionices until the very end of the build. Start saving so you can get what you want/need. Although I admit I struggled through similiar decision making. I wanted the VP-200, but went with the VP-X Pro due to budget contraints.

bob

VPX, moving map, highway-in-the-sky and more for less?

Hi Bird,

If I may help with your research, have you considered GRT Avionics' Sport EFIS?

The VPX interface is already in the GRT Avionics EFIS at no additional charge as well as moving map, synthetic approaches and AOA.

If you decide you want more capability in the future you may upgrade to the Horizon HX and we'll take the GRT Sport as a trade-in.

Another data point for your research...

Best regards,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics...above, beyond.

yes

I am looking at another device like an ipad or something similar. Just dont want to many things in my cockpit, I like to fly not stare inside, but thats another story. Vpx doesn,t need constant monitoring so this may be a viable option. For instance vpx can still annunciate through lights and audible for some things.

Yes, Carlos, I am looking at all avionics that provide vpx support. Grt is definately one I am looking at. So far Dynon is the only one that actually charges a one time fee for vpx support. I do like your units, so nothing is out of bounds right now. Just searching for what will work best for my aircraft mission. Thanks, very much.

bird