P51Matt

I am trying to set up the flap sensor. When I go in to the flap configuration and run the flaps the value range showing up for the sensor is only 0-3. I am using the ray allen pos-12 sensor. I've hooked it up to their led indicator and it works fine. But I do not think I am getting the correct output on the VP-X.

Check the +5V voltage pin on the VP-X that is going to the flap position sensor. I had a similar problem, but all of the position sensors were returning 0 (flaps, roll, pitch trim). It turned out to be a bad power supply in the VP-X, which was fixed by them.

Your full flap range travel is indicating 0 on one end and 3 on the other?

I had something similar a few weeks ago and two of the three position wires were hooked up incorrectly. Are you sure the position wiring is correct?

Yes Chad, when the flaps are up there is a zero reading and three at full flaps. The wiring is correct. I will get the serial number on it tomorrow. The problem is that there is no voltage at the sensor. There is a 2 volt reading in pin j1-19 at the VP-X but at the sensor there is no voltage. There is continuity in the wire, so the wire is not broken.

Last edited:
DB25 connector issue

For future reference... I'm dredging up this thread because I had a similar issue and with Chad's excellent help we determined the problem to be the DB25 connector.

When I originally read this thread it wasn't clear to me from Matt's original posts to check the connector (I'm a bit slow :confused:).

If you are getting a very small range (mine was 0 to 6) from the POS-12 check your DB25 connector. The connector I supplied was either bad or incompatible with the VP-X's J1 connector. The pins were not making good enough contact thus there was not enough reference voltage on J1-19 to obtain valid position results from the POS-12.

Testing voltage on the J1-19 wire at the POS-12 showed only 0.13V. Testing at the pin w/o the connector in the mix showed 2+ volts.

One thing to be aware of is that there are two different size pins:
one size for the standard dsub connectors, and a smaller size for the high density dsub connectors (not very common, but Garmin uses them in places).

The pins are hard to tell apart on their own unless you put them next to each other.