LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Wondering of anyone here has successfully updated a VP-50 unit on a Windows 7 box, and using a USB-to-serial adaptor. I've been wrestling with this for a week. I can get the XP box to talk to the unit OK but it still bogarts after erasing existing software (which leaves you without an electrical system), but I can't get the Windows 7 box to communicate at all, which is kind of a drag since I went out last week and bought the darned thing so I can do software upgrades without lugging the whole home desktop unit to the hangar.

Anyway, I've tried three separate USB-to-serial adaptors with the W7 box to no avail, and all three cables on the XP box still result in a bad install.

The VP software upgrade instructions are here if anyone sees any secrets therin that I might be missing.

I suppose it's possible that the problem is in my VP unit, which seems fitting. It's always ME. ;)

Bob, Give us a call and talk with John. He can help you through it.

Still working with John. He suggested the new cable. We've rechecked the cable I built with the serial port. He tested the update on his XP box there with the same cable adapter and it worked OK.

I may have to bring in my I.T.-department son but that requires me to admit defeat, and that he's smarter than me. Not sure I'm ready for that, yet.

updated to v21 a couple of days ago...

i had v20 installed and updated to v21 without issue using a mac running a windows xp session under vm fusion using a usb to serial cable.

img5167.jpg

VP-50Software upgrade

I recently bought an AC equipped with a VP-50. I need to update the software, but having read the instructions in the user manual, I can't even figure out where I am supposed to connect up to it. Talked to Chad and he was real helpful on some other issues but he has never seen a VP-50 and has no idea either where you plug in at. He suggested posting the question on VAF, so here I am. If any of you have a simple step by step for connecting up and configuring, could you please share it?
Sam McNair
[email protected]

USB to serial cable...

It is pretty straight forward... you don't need to make a cable or special driver and the access to the head switch unit is no tool needed easy. You have to do it in windows and you need a USB to serial cable that works with your computer and windows version though but some of these can be temperamental.

Remove the control head unit from the plane... it has a finger tight knurled knob nut attached to a backplate that holds it in place in the panel.

Detach the serial communications cable from the head unit.

Take it to your computer.

Attach the USB to serial cable to the head unit.

Plug it into your computer.

;)

Go to the Vertical Power website and download the JAVA engine, upload program, and the firmware update in a windows environment.

http://www.verticalpower.com/software/

Follow the step by step instructions in the release notes.

http://www.verticalpower.com/software/Release_50.pdf

Reinstall the head switch unit back in the plane... power up and go through the setup process to confirm / modify your settings.

Thanks for posting this Stephen...I need to see this stuff as well since as mentioned, I haven't physically seen a -50 at this point.

:cool:

That isnt how it works on my VP-50. You need the special updater cable that plugs into the headset type jack on the side of the VP-50 switch panel. The other end of the updater cable plugs either into the db9 serial port on a PC or into a serial to USB converter that plugs into the PC.

The other connector on the back of the VP-50 is a 15 pin db connector to connect to the main control box.

Without the special updater cable, I dont think you can update the switch panel.

need that special cable to serial...

Thanks Thomas, you are right! I did this more than 4 years ago and did not recall the special cable that you connect to the SIDE of the head switch unit to access a serial connection...

I don't have a photo of the cable but here is a shot from the update in process. It looks like you need to have the power connected to the to the head switch unit during the instal as well. Sorry for the confusion.

I will look around the hangar for the actual update cable.

ReaOK01S.jpg