johngoodman

Well Known Member
I've been running great for 3 years, and then I suddenly started getting "Overcurrent" Faults on the VP-200 whenever I turned on the Trio Pro autopilot. I've checked all the easy wires, and I'm down to one last connector that will require "the jaws of life" to access.
Before I start totally pulling the entire panel, any suggestions? I've got the Trio power coming from the VP control unit at J6, p11. That's the one I can't get to. I will say that the Trio momentarily lights up before the Fault, so power is getting there. The only possible wiring issue would have to be the pin at J6 backing out, but still in partial contact.
Or, could it be the Trio control unit? I've thought about pulling the power pin in the back of the Trio, and replacing it with a different power source. But, I would have to be careful - fuse the power source so the overcurrent doesn't go up the chain, if it's in the Trio. Also, there are other pins in the Trio that could be the culprit, instead. Think ground or servo power.
I've e-mailed Trio on this, to see what their opinion is, but I'd appreciate any comments from this group.

John

Simple things?

Probably stating the obvious, but have you checked the fault setting in the VP-200, and does it agree with the Trio?

I would suspect a short in the wiring somewhere along the way. To test this pull the power pin from the Trio and use it to power up some other device that takes a similar amount of current. If that worked without faulting then I would suspect the Trio itself is causing the fault, otherwise it would likely be the wiring from the VP-200 to the Trio.

Usually a bad connection results in less current flowing, not more. So the problem is more likely within the VP-200 or Trio Pro Autopilot. Temporarily powering the Trio with a separate fused source, as you are contemplating, is a good test. I agree with Mark Olson's suggestions too.
Joe Gores

John,

What is the VP-200 telling you when the OC fault occurs? Is the AP turning red in the device list with the correct associated power pin highlighted at the top of the page? It should be telling you exactly where the fault is coming from without having to narrow it down.

John,

What is the VP-200 telling you when the OC fault occurs? Is the AP turning red in the device list with the correct associated power pin highlighted at the top of the page? It should be telling you exactly where the fault is coming from without having to narrow it down.

Yes, the Autopilot in the device list turns red-on-white, and the J6 pin 11 is highlighted at the top with the word "overcurrent" beneath it.

John

Okay, the VP-200 is doing it's job perfectly. Check wire security on that pin, the wire run, and device.

If all is good, then we'll look at the VP-200.

Okay, the VP-200 is doing it's job perfectly. Check wire security on that pin, the wire run, and device.

If all is good, then we'll look at the VP-200.

I knew that. You may notice that the J6 plug is my real problem - I can no longer get to it without a major teardown.
But, maybe you can tell me how to check the pin from the other end. Can I do something with the other end of the wire to see if the VP-200 still shows an overcurrent?

John

Sorry, wasn't trying to be smart, I figured your did. :)

Checking the voltage on the other end of the wire is the same as checking it at the pin, so if access is good there, that'll work.

John, go into the device settings page in setup and verify the circuit breaker value, then press save again.

John, go into the device settings page in setup and verify the circuit breaker value, then press save again.

Marc,
I did it, but no luck. It's set correctly. After fiddling with it some more, I'm beginning to think that it has to be the J6 p11 itself. That will require a major tear down to get to it. I'm seriously considering pulling a new wire from a different source to the autopilot. I'm just not that limber anymore....

John

Let me know what you would like to do John. If you pull it out, we'll be happy to take a look at it.

Chad,
I've spoken to Trio, and they gave me a plan for pulling a hot wire from a different source. The VP-200 is fine, it just won't be the power source for the autopilot anymore.
John

OK, everyone, I got it fixed. I was able to pull a new power source to the Trio Pro and it's working fine. The culprit was at J6 pin 11 on the VP-200 controller. Never could get to it, I just removed the Autopilot from the VP equation.
Thanks for all the help.
John